Bird dog

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I agree they are good flushing dogs and many are good retrievers.I just never had much use for a dog that didn't point reliabley.I can flush and retrieve, I think most quail hunters want a dog that is bred to point.
That's why I've always hunted behind Brittany's. Rock solid points on quail.
My latest Britt is 13+ years old and developed a heart murmer last year. He is retired from hunting. Gets to spend the rest of his days beside the recliner, and at the foot of the bed.
When I come home he sniffs the tires and fender wells. If coming home from the farm, he starts dancing around, acting excited.
He knows where I've been. It's going to be a sad day when he is gone.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
She wasn't happy with the pup on her home turf I'm sure. Neutral meeting location for them to get to know each other may have been in order, just like when she was hunting with other dogs and she did fine as you stated. My lab walks along next to me when we pheasant hunt......where he belongs until a bird is down then he brings it back lol.
I can confirm that. ^^^^^

huntemup

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
And for the record, labs aren't upland dogs and anytime someone wants to bring their lab to hunt with me and Star I tell them no. Just so everyone knows I'm not a total hater, I suppose if you have 8-10 people to walk a quarter section of milo or wheat stubble with blockers on the ends, it would possibly be acceptable to turn out a lab so long as they don't run too far in front of you. Still, labs ain't birddogs!

lol at labs not being upland or bird dogs. They're not only both of those things, they're very likely the most used bird and upland dog. Not all upland/bird hunting is quail hunting. While it's perfectly acceptable to say you, like me, prefer a pointer over a flusher for your style of hunting, it's crazy talk to suggest that labs are not upland dogs and even crazier to suggest that they're not bird dogs.

With that said, here's hoping your dog has a speedy and full recovery.

LBnM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
One of the best quail and pheasant dogs I ever had was a black lab my wife got for a pet. She wasn't a pointing lab and always stayed pretty close but you could tell where the birds were and when they would get up. That's actually a very useful trait in the case of pheasant. She also had the softest mouth of any dog I ever saw. Didn't like to swim, tho' - go figure.

Annie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You know, a spray bottle with vinegar and water in it, and a short leash, will solve that problem in short order.

That said, Okie4570 is right. They need to meet at a neutral place. Hope your girl makes a quick and complete recovery.

emapples

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
IMG_2395.JPG
+1

Ryan...you should most definitely get yourself a Weim. There's a good chance that you may even find an owner willing to pay you a small "reverse rehoming fee" for your trouble. ;)

They are real high strung (but most short haired pointers are) he was a pointing fool, bred a few litters with that one ....

coolhandluke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
View attachment 106812

They are real high strung (but most short haired pointers are) he was a pointing fool, bred a few litters with that one ....

He could be my 11 year old male's twin. The battles and frustrations that I've had with ours lasted for years, but most stemmed from my own ignorance of how much time, work, and attention Weim's require. I grew up with sheep dogs so the difference between breeds was a little shocking. Ours finally became more subdued (and much less headstrong) after he had a required nueter surgery after a few bouts with a reocurring prostate infection when he was 7 or 8 years.

Latest posts

Top Bottom