Bit by a dog on my morning run

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

somarsmi

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I used to love running when I was young. I had a certain spot with a dog that always worried me. The same dog had bitten my grandpa while he was biking. I used to pick up a baseball sized rock at the rail road tracks for protection for the next half mile. Another dog that was on a different route was picked up by animal control. The dog's owner had a meth lab buried under the ground in an elaborate system. Made my running route there less stressful and no more carrying rocks. I would try the Columbia store... they have gear you can run in and store O.C. for the biters

Kid Glock

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I like dogs but despise unprovoked biters and really hate irresponsible dog owners. In addition to ordinances for city dwellers, I think there are state statutes regarding animal attacks on humans and other animals if that animal is killed. The reporting of such incidents starts a paper trail to help ID vicious or potentially vicious animals (mostly dogs) wherein enclosures and liability insurance is required but documentation of the attack is required. Also the state health dept. is responsible for tracking and controlling rabies and they need to know. The local LE or AC authority should provide them a report. You may want to followup with the authorities to see that the incident was properly documented. Get yourself a copy while you're at it.
In the meantime, I'd seek legal action against the dog owner as it sounds like she's not a responsible pet owner and needs to be enlightened before the next time her dog is "protecting it's mom".

Profreedomokie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The animal control guy here in Ponca City told me a few years back that you can shoot a dog to keep from getting bit. The cops do it when needed. If this is animal abuse ( shooting a dog to protect yourself) then, a self defense shoot of a person would be murder.

SeanO

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was 2.57 miles (by GPS watch) into a short 3 mile run this morning when a large dog came barking from the front of the house I was running past around to the side and bit me I the thigh/buttocks area. I was on the sidewalk and there was a vehicle immediately beside me, so I really had no way of creating distance between myself and the dog.

Just after this a woman came from the side of the house yelling at the dog to stop barking, wanting to let it into her back yard.

I told the some woman her dog had just bit me, to which the belligerent heifer responded with an indignant "oh, he did NOT!" As there was not one comment of concern or an offer to help clean the bleeding wound, I memorized the address of the house and headed home.

Once home I took pictures, called animal control, and cleaned the bite with a surgical antiseptic. Now I guess it's just waiting to see what happens when animal control checks on the dog.

As for the dog itself, it looked to be a Dane mix and stood a little over waist high on me (I'm about 6' 2").

Does anyone have any recommendations for some good OC spray or some jogging shorts (or similar) that can support a subcompact?

Way too many posts to read through. But, if someone hasn't mentioned it yet Sabre Red Crossfire OC is nasty stuff. I've been sprayed a few times for training and the last time was with Sabre Red, definitely the best of the worst stuff on earth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
www.mytractorforum.com_images_smilies_wwp.gif

Permanent37

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I love dogs and would pick mine over a lot of humans out there. However, I wouldn't hesitate to kill a dog that attacked me or a family member. Especially if you were running down the road minding your business.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Defnestor

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It amazes me how many people love their dog more than other humans. I love dogs and will go out of my way to befriend them if they are amenable to it. But if my dog had bitten someone, I would be totally apologetic, help wash out the bite and offer to pay for medical care. To do otherwise is completely unacceptable.

I can count on one hand the number of people I like more than my dog, but then, I know a lot of people.

Commander Keen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No pics, but a small update nonetheless. I finally got down to the OKC animal shelter to talk to an animal welfare officer during my lunch break.

Despite obviously being swamped, everyone I spoke to there was courteous and helpful. I signed a citation for not having the dog confined. Given that they agreed to confine the dog as a result of it attacking me (and other pieces of evidence) I can't imagine that they'd fight it. Either way I doubt they'll be happy, which makes me think I need to rework my running route.

As an aside, there are some VERY interesting looking people who go to the animal shelter on a Wednesday...

Latest posts

Top Bottom