Bobcat traps?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clintbailey

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've been thinking of doing some trapping this year, hadn't trapped in over 10 years. I've heard of some guys doing some bobcat trapping using live traps, and I'm thinking of trying it out. Would anyone have any pointers on how to build some at home, what materials is best, etc.? I think I would rather do that than footholds, mainly because of the ability to release any small/incidental catches, plus more weather resistant. Thanks ahead of time for any feedback, Clint

six shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have not trapped in ten or so year but my 2 boyes 9-11 want to start this year i have a live trap that i prob will not be using that i bought for bob cats a while back i think it is 24inx24inx5 feet i would trade for some steal traps.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It was a couple of years ago that I trapped a bobcat in a live trap. Its not impossible, but tougher than a steel leghold trap.
I'm not an expert trapper, but we do have some that check in here every so often that will hopefully give their insite.
From what I know, cats, don't have a great sense of smell, and are sight hunters.
When setting traps of either kind, I'll hang a rock above the set on a string from an overhanging limb, and tie a feather under the rock to flap in the wind to get the cats attention. I think any feather would work, but some say a white chicken feather is best.
For steel trap sets, the cat needs to be directed into the trap by placing dead wood, rocks etc into a V shape with some bait in the small of the V. The steel trap is placed a few inches in front of the bait, offset from the centerline of the V so that one of the legs will get into it. The traps have to be set very lightly, as a cat is quick, and will feel the pan move, jerking its foot back in an instant.
Cats prefer to walk on smooth ground if possible, so cleaning the entry to the V will help.

I don't have any, but they say using a live trap that has a cage attached to the back of it with live quail/pidgeons in it(must not be wild quail but quail bought from a game farm) is the best way to catch cats. They can't get to the birds from the outside, so they have to come in from the front. Again, they like to walk on smooth ground, so sifting some dirt from the top of the trap, or laying grass over the wire floor will help.
To the OP, about releasing incidental animals caught, if they are coons, skunks etc, you will be doing your wildlife a favor by killing them. They are nest robbers that get into our quail and pheasant populations, as well as non-game ground nesting birds.
One old trappers saying that is pretty true, is that when going for the prime animals like a cat or coyote, you have to get the trash first.

My favorite place to put a set, is under some old rusting sheet metal that provides a perfect way to guide an animal into the set. Works year after year. (coon set)

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I set live traps in pairs about 50y apart, I believe they're 18"wX20"tX60"L. I built a separate enclosed compartment(for chicken safety and weather break) on the back and put a live chicken in each trap compartment. The two chickens will cluck back and forth to each other almost all day long. For a visual I hang the flat disc off of a mason jar lid above the trap so that it can been seen from a distance as it flashes great in sunlight and moonlight. Feed and water your chickens when your check your traps and they'll last until your done trapping. Have pretty good success with this but do better with mason jar lid above a steel trap! Good luck.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I set live traps in pairs about 50y apart, I believe they're 18"wX20"tX60"L. I built a separate enclosed compartment(for chicken safety and weather break) on the back and put a live chicken in each trap compartment. The two chickens will cluck back and forth to each other almost all day long. For a visual I hang the flat disc off of a mason jar lid above the trap so that it can been seen from a distance as it flashes great in sunlight and moonlight. Feed and water your chickens when your check your traps and they'll last until your done trapping. Have pretty good success with this but do better with mason jar lid above a steel trap! Good luck.

I'm thinking I need to check out your trap design. Do you make them? or buy them? I don't know if we still have the pigeon trap at work, but if so, I could provide some birds.

clintbailey

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Dennis, I was more referring to being able to release small cats, not so much coons, skunks, etc. because I definitely agree with you're point. I would skin the coons, and I don't want to even think about releasing a skunk alive LOL. Plus I may do some trapping on public land, and I don't want to pissed off quail hunters if you know what I mean.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Dennis, I was more referring to being able to release small cats, not so much coons, skunks, etc. because I definitely agree with you're point. I would skin the coons, and I don't want to even think about releasing a skunk alive LOL. Plus I may do some trapping on public land, and I don't want to pissed off quail hunters if you know what I mean.

Gottcha!:D

imhntn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have trapped quite a few cats in box traps and I think they are much easier to set up than a leg hold but it takes a lot more room to get the same amount. A 10"x10" is plenty big for cats. They are used to crawling into brush piles and such and do not mind a small opening. I set them with the wind blowing from the back toward the door. Duck carcasses or beaver meat wired to the back of the trap work best for me and then use I some Milligan Brand "Cat-Man-Do" scent on a stick hanging down by the duck carcass through the top of the trap. Brush it up with cedar branches so it looks like a brush pile. Try to push down on the trap and move it back and forth a little to get some dirt pushed up into the wire so they are not walking on wire. Make sure nothing can block the door from closing. I keep some goose down in a zip lock and sprinkle some in the cedar branches over the trap so they move around in the wind to get a cats attention. The hardest part of trapping cats is keeping the trap open so that when a cat comes by he can get into it. You will have to catch all the coons, possums and skunks out before you get the cats usually. Also, there is a guy who makes box traps and they are really good and pretty reasonable. A lot better than the ones you buy at Atwoods. I have made some myself but it is a lot of work. If you want the guys name, I can come up with it. Let me know. Good luck and I hope you get some.

Latest posts

Top Bottom