Bobcat traps?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have trapped quite a few cats in box traps and I think they are much easier to set up than a leg hold but it takes a lot more room to get the same amount. A 10"x10" is plenty big for cats. They are used to crawling into brush piles and such and do not mind a small opening. I set them with the wind blowing from the back toward the door. Duck carcasses or beaver meat wired to the back of the trap work best for me and then use I some Milligan Brand "Cat-Man-Do" scent on a stick hanging down by the duck carcass through the top of the trap. Brush it up with cedar branches so it looks like a brush pile. Try to push down on the trap and move it back and forth a little to get some dirt pushed up into the wire so they are not walking on wire. Make sure nothing can block the door from closing. I keep some goose down in a zip lock and sprinkle some in the cedar branches over the trap so they move around in the wind to get a cats attention. The hardest part of trapping cats is keeping the trap open so that when a cat comes by he can get into it. You will have to catch all the coons, possums and skunks out before you get the cats usually. Also, there is a guy who makes box traps and they are really good and pretty reasonable. A lot better than the ones you buy at Atwoods. I have made some myself but it is a lot of work. If you want the guys name, I can come up with it. Let me know. Good luck and I hope you get some.

I'd be interested in knowing the guy that makes the box traps with a cage in the back. We are seeing lots of cats in our bird hunting area this year.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I'd be interested in knowing the guy that makes the box traps with a cage in the back. We are seeing lots of cats in our bird hunting area this year.

I bought the traps online, built the chicken box in the back out of 1/4" plywood the same width and height as the trap and 18" long. So really it's a 5 sided cube, open side fastened to the trap, cat can only see in from the trap side. Top of the box is hinged so I can get in and out of box easily. I cover the trap with limbs ect. so that all that is visible is the front of the trap. Suppose you could put duck or pheasant carcasses in there as well.

Mark Munkres

Marksman
Reaction score
You can also pile some some small brush along the sides, behind, and top of the trap so the cat can't get right next to the chicken. That way, the only way the cat can see the chicken really good is to look into the entrance of the trap.

Bevenue

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have trapped quite a few cats in box traps and I think they are much easier to set up than a leg hold but it takes a lot more room to get the same amount. A 10"x10" is plenty big for cats. They are used to crawling into brush piles and such and do not mind a small opening. I set them with the wind blowing from the back toward the door. Duck carcasses or beaver meat wired to the back of the trap work best for me and then use I some Milligan Brand "Cat-Man-Do" scent on a stick hanging down by the duck carcass through the top of the trap. Brush it up with cedar branches so it looks like a brush pile. Try to push down on the trap and move it back and forth a little to get some dirt pushed up into the wire so they are not walking on wire. Make sure nothing can block the door from closing. I keep some goose down in a zip lock and sprinkle some in the cedar branches over the trap so they move around in the wind to get a cats attention. The hardest part of trapping cats is keeping the trap open so that when a cat comes by he can get into it. You will have to catch all the coons, possums and skunks out before you get the cats usually. Also, there is a guy who makes box traps and they are really good and pretty reasonable. A lot better than the ones you buy at Atwoods. I have made some myself but it is a lot of work. If you want the guys name, I can come up with it. Let me know. Good luck and I hope you get some.

Id be interested in checking them out. Let us know his contact info.

imhntn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The trap maker is Terry Waggoners and his # is 405-586-2570. I am attaching some pics of a cat trap and my son with 2 bobcats on the ground that came out of this size trap. The trap may seem small for cats but I guarantee you they can run circles in trap that size with no trouble. The other is a trap that was quite a bit bigger than the ones we catch them in but we were keeping this cat to collect urine for the trap line.
ai35.photobucket.com_albums_d168_imhntn_Scan_Pic0043.jpg

ai35.photobucket.com_albums_d168_imhntn_Scan_Pic0044.jpg

ai35.photobucket.com_albums_d168_imhntn_Scan_Pic0046.jpg

Bevenue

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The trap maker is Terry Waggoners and his # is 405-586-2570. I am attaching some pics of a cat trap and my son with 2 bobcats on the ground that came out of this size trap. The trap may seem small for cats but I guarantee you they can run circles in trap that size with no trouble. The other is a trap that was quite a bit bigger than the ones we catch them in but we were keeping this cat to collect urine for the trap line.

Don't mean to hijack the tread to much from the op. But any tips or tricks you can share with us?
On the path or in the brush? Bait? cover scents? bobcat urine? cover the trap/camouflage?

Latest posts

Top Bottom