Bugging Out, SoCal to OK in a 68 Baja bug

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dubs chops

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just copy and pasted this from my thread on expedition protal. I thought some of you all may think it is interesting.

here is the thread.
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/77384-Bugging-Out!-SoCal-to-OK-in-a-68-VW-Baja

This is my first trip report on here even though I have lurked a lot. I have been itching for an open road adventure for a while and also Own a company called PlanB Outfitters. Stick with me this is going somewhere I promise. PlanB Outfitters is my passion, Helping people Get prepared for anything, Whether adventure or apocalypse we Carry the gear to get you through it. ( OK shameless plug over!) So while discussing the ideal BOV (Bug Out Vehivhle) with a customer one day I had been talking about the simplicity of older diesel engines. Mainly the Multifuel Hercules Motor in the M35A2 military 2 1/2 transport.
[Broken External Image]

Seems like the perfect choice at first. And for some it may have been but given all the factors that I took into account it just wasn't the one for me. So time passed along with more discussion and then one day it hit me! a late 60's to early 70's VW Bug! I know your thinking how did he go from a deuce and a half to a bug? Well the simplicity of the motor (Basically EMP proof if you carry few small parts) along with the availability of those parts and a few other factors made it perfect. I had decided a Bug it was, But not just any bug. It needed to be fast, Agile, reliable, and good off road. A Baja it was! So after some Google Foo I found the one. A 1968 VW Baja Bug. Fully Caged, Good suspension and a 1835 Turbo Charged rubber band. I Know the TC'ed 1835 doesn't necessarily scream reliability But here is where it gets better, It came with a Nice Fresh 1600 Dual Port motor complete from Intake to exhaust! =] SO some phone calls were made and a deal was struck. Me and a good friend are flying out to pick it up from SoCo on Monday. We are going to hit the Vegas Strip, Hoover Dam, Grand Canyon, And Canyon De Chelly National Park On the way home in a 72 hour period in a vehicle I have only seen on the computer! Sounds like an adventure huh! I will update this thread for you all along with family and friends from now until we arrive home.

And without further adieu Here She is!
[Broken External Image]
By dubschops at 2012-04-20
[Broken External Image]
By dubschops at 2012-04-24
[Broken External Image]
By dubschops at 2012-04-24

We are hoping to be home by 1-2:00 AM on Wednesday
Wish us luck!

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Love Expo. Great thread and rig. I cannot imagine that drive in a Bug... It would be a lot of things and comfortable isn't one of them. But that's part of the fun, no? :)

kd5rjz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not a trip I would want to make if the temp was over 75F. That said, there is something to be said for the reliability of old cars, I like the occasional roadtrip in my older CJ's.

dubs chops

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Love Expo. Great thread and rig. I cannot imagine that drive in a Bug... It would be a lot of things and comfortable isn't one of them. But that's part of the fun, no? :)
Comfortable No, Fun Yes!

The section between Albuquerque and OKC is gonna SUCK. I hate that drive.
Yup, I have driven it 3 times myself and that stretch does suck. That is why I am planning on driving it straight through on the last stretch.

Not a trip I would want to make if the temp was over 75F. That said, there is something to be said for the reliability of old cars, I like the occasional roadtrip in my older CJ's.
We will see how well she holds up. It was built for playing in the desert so maybe the heat wont be an issue.

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Totally rad. I love Baja Bugs so much.

That being said, that'll be an interesting drive to say the least. Interested to see how long it takes, and I bet you feel like you just stepped off a ship in rough seas by the time you hit Oklahoma.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What a cool adventure....double dog dare you to park the bug under the Welcome to Las Vegas sign and snap a pic.

JB Books

Shooter Emeritus
Special Hen
Reaction score

I had a red CJ-7 I put 90,000 miles on. Drove it to South Carolina, Georgia, Colorado (multiple times), New Mexico and Old Mexico. Loved it. Of course, I was in my late teens-very early twenties and was cut and ripped. Nowadays, my fat ass would be turned to jelly from such long drives. Hell, my back aches if I'm in my SL too long.

Latest posts

Top Bottom