Bugging Out, SoCal to OK in a 68 Baja bug

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kd5rjz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had a red CJ-7 I put 90,000 miles on. Drove it to South Carolina, Georgia, Colorado (multiple times), New Mexico and Old Mexico. Loved it. Of course, I was in my late teens-very early twenties and was cut and ripped. Nowadays, my fat ass would be turned to jelly from such long drives. Hell, my back aches if I'm in my SL too long.

Well, I'm in my late 20's and like to take the occasional trip in my red CJ-7 (It had a little over 90k on it when I bought it, coincidence??!?), mostly around OK/TX/MO/AR. If I've got meetings with someone out in an oilfield somewhere and it's too muddy for a truck, I'll use it for work occasionally - but I'm getting to the point where I just don't drive it if it's hot outside anymore, lol.

JB Books

Shooter Emeritus
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, I'm in my late 20's and like to take the occasional trip in my red CJ-7 (It had a little over 90k on it when I bought it, coincidence??!?), mostly around OK/TX/MO/AR. If I've got meetings with someone out in an oilfield somewhere and it's too muddy for a truck, I'll use it for work occasionally - but I'm getting to the point where I just don't drive it if it's hot outside anymore, lol.

As you get older, you'll hate to drive it even more. In 2006, we won a big verdict and I treated myself to a fully loaded 2006 Wrangler. It had everything on it, including winch, full-size spare, jerry cans, etc. I put 1900 miles on it in 13 months.

elwoodtrix

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had a baja bug growing up in Cali.. that one looks real nice.
Did notice there isn't any heater boxes. Mine didn't have any so I'd have to pack on the clothes during winter.

dubs chops

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yes I know, No Heat and No AC. I will get the welcome to Vegas Pic along with several others. I plan on snapping a bunch of pictures on the way home. I am 28 but feel 50 sometimes from the rough miles I have put on myself. LOL. We shall see how well the body can hold out on this trip as well. I am not sure which would have been more uncomfortable on the way home. The Bug or the deuce. =]

bigchuck83

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
thats one nice looking baja bug there, makes me want one bad. at least the old VW motors are easy to work on and even replace. who needs A/C anyways?

Buzzgun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Cool Baja!! You gonna strap the second motor on the top??

Years ago, I ran into some guys on a public hunting area who were using a baja as their "hunting truck", had a big rack on the top to carry the deer. Worked pretty slick!

kd5rjz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As you get older, you'll hate to drive it even more. In 2006, we won a big verdict and I treated myself to a fully loaded 2006 Wrangler. It had everything on it, including winch, full-size spare, jerry cans, etc. I put 1900 miles on it in 13 months.

Yeah, it's become my winter car. My wife's been begging for a 4-door wrangler so I might have to go that route pretty soon...

dubs chops

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Cool Baja!! You gonna strap the second motor on the top??

Years ago, I ran into some guys on a public hunting area who were using a baja as their "hunting truck", had a big rack on the top to carry the deer. Worked pretty slick!

Kinda my plans as well. It will be getting a rack on top to hold the spare and something roughly the size of a mature buck carcass

Latest posts

Top Bottom