Car dealer rip off

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

POKE1911

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
tell her to go to her bank & refinance for a lower interest rate, pay off the 20% loan in full, make payments to the bank at a much lower (5% or less hopefully) interest rate and get a 5 year loan.

Unless she has a lot of cash to put down. The balance owed on the car would be 13K approx 6-7k more than the car is worth. A bank would only go maybe 7-8k. With 92k miles on it already a bank might not go extended term (5 years or longer).

Good call there is no cool down period in OK... They will either need to make it work or take a hit on credit.

XD-9Guy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Situations like this are why 18-24 year olds come back to tell my wife that she taught the most useful class they took in high school, she teaches Personal Finance - it's sad that kids don't know any better. Like others have said, run though that sales contract with a fine tooth comb, make sure it's sealed tight. If it is, send her shopping for new financing immediately. I also have to agree with those that mentioned that insurance number being WAY off. At one point in my youth I was living one citation away from suspension due to speeding tickets & my insurance was just a hair under $200 a month at it's worst. Anything in the $400s is a farce & she should shop until she finds better, MUCH better.

montesa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wow that really was a rip off. It's amazing how badly car dealers are willing to screw someone over for a little bit of money. She isn't going to have the credit to refinance with a bank. She would need a cosigner. A bank won't loan that much either. That was an outrageous price for that car. I hate car dealerships!!!!

XD-9Guy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That's true, no normal lender would loan that coin on that vehicle. She is going to have to get to work immediately & make as much money as possible to pay that down to it's real value so she can refinance.

XD-9Guy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Oh, FWIW the 3 day cooling off rule is real but not for car sales. It is for home solicitation sales like the Rainbow Vacuum Cleaner sales & the door to door alarm sales people, that kind of stuff.

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I doubt she will be able to refi at a local bank. She's in so deep (loan to value) most reputable banks won't touch that with a 10 foot pole.

She's either borrowed through a tote-the-note place, or a sub-prime auto financier (like Americredit, Drive Financial, Fifth Third, Capital One, Westlake, etc.)

MLRyan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I agree that car dealers can be un ethical a-holes, but that goes for just about anyone trying to sell something. IMO, no one held a gun to her head and made her buy the car, and she could have done some research on google before purchasing. No sympathy. "If you have to make payments on something, then you can't afford it."

Latest posts

Top Bottom