Cleaning brass CAUTION!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This has not been said yet but I have said it before to some friends and on other forums.

When you clean in dry or wet try your hardest to keep this stuff off your hands.
Especially the nasty water you get from pin cleaning.. this has lead in it and other nasty's and best to keep that out of your system.
Short term the liquid solution will dry the crap out of your hands.. That is nothing compared to long term.

Keep it clean and safe.
That is all :)

Calamity Jake

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You also need to control the dust in your dry(walnut/corncob) media as it has lead in it from primer residue.
I use a little mineral spirits in mine it controls the dust and helps clean the brass.

Larry Morgan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I make a habit of avoiding touching the vinegar/water mix in my ultrasonic cleaner when cleaning brass simply because I ABHOR the smell of vinegar. If it wasn't so darn cheap and effective, it wouldn't be allowed in my house in such large quantities.

dc4ou

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Do you think there is very much lead absorption by getting the pins out of the dirty water with your hands? I immediately dry my hands and wash them soon afterwards. I always wonder if there is much of a problem but I can't feel the pins as well with gloves.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
you need to use a strainer or pour out what you can while all the goodies are still in the container. then add fresh water and rinse again and again.
Dilute it and get the majority out before sticking your hands in it if you must stick your hands in it

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
Good reminder swampratt. Lead poisoning is no joke. Also, if you do get it on your hands, be sure to use cold water to rinse it off; or anytime you handle lead or anything containing lead. Hot water opens up the pores in your skin and you are more likely to absorb it that way.

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Pieces of metallic lead as big as split shot are relatively inert, and the potential hazard from them is commonly overblown, but those soluble lead salts left in fired cartridge cases are nasty stuff and should not be breathed or ingested in any way. As to getting the salts on your hands, the greatest danger is that you will touch your face, smoke, or eat before washing it off your hands. It takes a couple minutes scrubbing with a brush to get it all off.

Latest posts

Top Bottom