Contemplating some firearms sales

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I agree with the general sentiment here; showing a DL might be OK depending on the situation, but taking a pic of it? No deal. And a bill of sale is worth the paper it’s written on.

If someone is that concerned about maintaining a paper trail, then go through an FFL like folks here have said.

I’ve seen WTS ads in the classifieds that piqued my interest, but as soon as I saw “Must show DL” or “Must sign BoS” I skipped to the next ad. No legal requirement to do either, so fooey on that.

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I used to ask to see an id showing Oklahoma residence but now just trust if I am selling to someone from this site that they are ok.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I used to feel that way. Since the site has changed hands a few times and rules have changed, I see ads in the classifieds from members with less than twenty posts and when you look at their activity, it’s all in the classifieds.

You want me to prove I'm a resident, fine.

You want to take a pic of my DL, the deal ends.

Even an FFL doesn't do that.

H&H scans your DL when you buy a gun or primers and powder. Ive argued with them about scanning my DL when buying powder and primers and paying cash and their response was “It’s store policy, can’t sell it without it”.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
H&H scans your DL when you buy a gun or primers and powder. Ive argued with them about scanning my DL when buying powder and primers and paying cash and their response was “It’s store policy, can’t sell it without it”.

Good point. One more reason never to buy from them.

Dumpstick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

I have never purchased anything from them.

Were I to start a purchase, and they wanted to scan my DL, I would stop the transaction. All those primers would be left on the counter.

The only way to stop that sort of crap is to argue with your wallet.

SPDguns

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think a bill of sale would be sufficient to show that you sold it. As a previous poster said, getting anyone to allow a copy of their ID is going to be all but impossible. I would just go to Sooner State Pawn (or other FFL) and do an FFL transfer. And if you are willing to pay the transfer fee ($10 at SSP, possibility more elsewhere) I doubt very many legitimate buyers would have an issue with that.
This is the way to go.

magna19

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Years ago I sold\traded some guns. And immediately regretted it. My collection then became a black hole that nothing could escape. I've recalculated my feelings and I am contemplating selling a number of my tresures. Here's the rub, and it's simply how I feel. Sorry. I know the law allows selling in OK with no questions asked. And I am somewhat OK with that on firearms I acquired with no federal forms. On firerms I have a federal history established I will want a bill of sale signed and proof of OK residence that I will photograph. I am prepared to go the official auction route but I will probably make less and you'll pay more. And there would be FFL paperwork.
I am not going to list things in this thread but anything I sell will be in very good, excellent or new in the box shape.

What do you think?
Most people have only a OK DL for a photo ID. Are you OK with the buyer getting a photo of your DL too whether or not the firearms have you tied with federal paperwork. If you want all that for the federal history ones, why wouldn't you want that for the ones without federal history. Its not not like your name wont come up if there is a problem with the non federal history ownership of those that you sell to someone else. Did you ask for copy of ID with the guns you don't have federal history when acquired. I just don't think you get the protection your seeking with the photo ID. If someone is with your sold gun and you not knowing about an illegal purchase/or later gun used with committing a crime with one of your guns and then and it comes back to you as owning, either way your going to say I sold it. As long as I don't see something fishy with your state of mind or known illegal intentions with purchasing or using a firearm then I don't think I need anything else to sell to an individual. If I was selling and you want to go to FFL to buy one of mine then either way is good with me. If you want to sell me one and only go through an FFL then we can do that too. But your not getting a OK photo ID/or DL unless your an FFL dealer.

Latest posts

Top Bottom