Cooking/Food thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Tonight's dinner, unstuffed cabbage roll.

I never noticed how yellow the light has gotten in our kitchen until now. Trying out a new camera my sister gave me. My old one died and another I was given did not work so she gave me a cheapy for fixing her PC. Still have to set the date on it.

View attachment 159309

Rick,

Check to see if it has a menu in the camera for making settings. "White Balance" is what you would be looking for, and if it has an "automatic" setting, choose that. If no "automatic," then look for the type of lighting that is in your kitchen. If incandescent, use that setting. Just remember to set things back to the way they were after doing the photos. I had about 50 or 60 photos of the fall colors in Colorado turn out blue-ish because I forgot to change the settings.

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Here's another stoopid simple dish I've put together twice this week. It's delicious.

- 2 cans Beefaroni.
- 1 can Spaghettios.
- 1 12.5 oz can Walmart canned chicken with liquid.
- 5 Kraft microwave Mac & Cheese single serving packets.

Stir ingredients together (include the Mac & Cheese noodles, but NOT the cheese packets). Break up the chicken chunks while stirring.

Microwave for 8 minutes on high. Stir in the cheese packets thoroughly. Microwave 3 more minutes on high. Stir again, and let sit 5-10 minutes.

I like it as a stand-alone meal with Tabasco, but you could add other stuff and/or serve it with other dishes.

I'd eat some right now, but I wiped it out earlier... :D

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Rick,

Check to see if it has a menu in the camera for making settings. "White Balance" is what you would be looking for, and if it has an "automatic" setting, choose that. If no "automatic," then look for the type of lighting that is in your kitchen. If incandescent, use that setting. Just remember to set things back to the way they were after doing the photos. I had about 50 or 60 photos of the fall colors in Colorado turn out blue-ish because I forgot to change the settings.

I do not think it is the camera. I replaced the florescent tube fixtures in the kitchen a couple years ago with plain fixtures with LED bulbs but have not been able to replace the ceiling panels that have really aged and yellowed over almost 20 years since we last replaced them. Hopefully the check will let me afford to change them if the wife and docs will let me on a ladder. (they don't let me have any fun)

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That looks pretty good, Rick.

My wife would move out if I cooked that tonite...

Tell her it is eating healthy. Made with a pack of turkey smoked sausage, 1 lb ground turkey, small chopped onion, small head of cabbage, 2 cans diced tomatoes, 1 cup cooked barley, garlic powder, oregano, salt and pepper.

For a side, 2 Beano pills. :P

You can change out the turkey stuff for real meat and the barley for rice if you like.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I do not think it is the camera. I replaced the florescent tube fixtures in the kitchen a couple years ago with plain fixtures with LED bulbs but have not been able to replace the ceiling panels that have really aged and yellowed over almost 20 years since we last replaced them. Hopefully the check will let me afford to change them if the wife and docs will let me on a ladder. (they don't let me have any fun)

That could be, but that is usually more from light bouncing off of the ceiling than their age. Normal light just goes downward, but if it is strong enough, I guess the light could first bounce off the floor and then up to the ceiling. But, even with that thought, I'd think the color of the floor could change the colors in a photo as well.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That could be, but that is usually more from light bouncing off of the ceiling than their age. Normal light just goes downward, but if it is strong enough, I guess the light could first bounce off the floor and then up to the ceiling. But, even with that thought, I'd think the color of the floor could change the colors in a photo as well.

The light is passing thru old yellowed panels in the drop ceiling.

chazroh

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
C52D185A-8868-40D2-9DC7-29C645EF4E51.jpeg

Grilling a chicken tonight

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just threw a pork loin on the smoker. Got some asparagus marinating in a ziploc with salt, pepper, oilive oil, garlic and horseradish. Got some red taters I'm gonna fry up in a cast iron and try to get CRISPY.

We'll see how it all comes out. I might try to post some pics.

Latest posts

Top Bottom