1. Welcome to Oklahoma Shooters Association! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.
  2. All members receive 3 free listings a month. Get unlimited listings for just $10 a year! Click here for all the info.

Cooking/Food thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by dennishoddy, Feb 3, 2017.

1. Hangfire

Hangfire Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    I've always been one of those that doesn't care to go shopping (even for myself) and if I needed something say from Wally World I'd go around 5 or 6 a.m.......get in and get out was my motto.

For some odd reason since we've retired mama has got it in her pretty little head that her and I need to go shopping together......so like a good little boy I push the cart around and guard her purse while she shops.

Anyway, yesterday we were going down one of the aisles and I happened to look up and see 'Apple Butter' on the shelf and since I hadn't had any many, many years I grabbed a jar.

I just finished eating a piece of toast smeared thickly with it and realized that I had forgotten how good it is.....now all I've got to do is sweet talk mama into making some scratch biscuits to try it on. :)

If you've never tried apple butter or if like me had just forgoten about it pick up a jar, it's still just as good as it's always been.

apple butter.png

O4L, RickN, swampratt and 2 others like this.
  2. swampratt

swampratt Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    We have an apple tree and made some this year.
    Sliced them and cooked with a bit of cinnamon in a crock pot for 10 hours. And I think she added a small amount of sugar.
    Done.

3. Hangfire

Hangfire Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    Swampratt the four ingredient list on the back of the jar says......apples, sugar, cloves and cinnamon.

It's pretty good stuff !

4. Hangfire

Hangfire Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    Tis the season !

Went to Walmart yesterday to look for shooting gloves and what did I see ?......a huge display of Queen Anne chocolate covered cherries.

Walmart only carries these during the holiday season and I look forward to them every year......ten pieces per box for $1.78.

Picked up two boxes (for now :)) and 1/2 of one box is already gone.......thankfully mama doesn't care for them so I get to eat all of them. :)

Queen Anne.jpg

RickN likes this.
  5. SoonerP226

SoonerP226 Sharpshooter

My mom used to get us each a box of those for Christmas. I can down a box of those in a sitting, but oh, man, does all that sugar upset my stomach, so I do my best to not do that.

Mind you, I don't always succeed, but I do try.

6. MacFromOK

MacFromOK Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    Didn't those used to have a dozen or more?

Back in "aught O" ... well, when I... err... DruryJ was a kid. :D

7. RickN

RickN Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%

Love those things! Being diabetic I am not supposed to eat them, but the wife gets a box every year and I eat one or two. I also love the Little Debbie Cherry Cordials. But again, I only eat one or two a year. Good thing is, I finally figured out the drug combo that seems to be keeping my blood sugar under control, even if I eat a couple goodies. Something a dozen docs have spend many years trying to do.

8. SoonerP226

SoonerP226 Sharpshooter

Two trays with six each, so, yeah, an even dozen. They still do, too.

MacFromOK likes this.
  9. RickN

RickN Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    Tonight I tried one of the bragged about Braum's Hot Link. It was okay but nothing special IMO. I am going to eat the rest of the package before I reach a final verdict but so far I like JC Potter's better.

O4L and nofearfactor like this.
  10. dennishoddy

dennishoddy Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    Careful there......the ban hammer could be headed your way for blasphemy. :hey3:

O4L and RickN like this.