Cooking/Food thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmike314

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Been trying to use the kettle as much as possible. Made some chicken last weekend. Last night some burgers and today started to use it for smoking. Got some poor man's food going in case screwed it up. Some BBQ bologna and smoke sausage. It's about ready to eat. Wife has some homemade potato salad in the fridge should be good eating.
View attachment 150004
View attachment 150005

Love me some bologna.

If you’re looking to smoke....google the “Weber kettle snake method”.

Didn’t believe it was that easy until I tried it.

“Crying is for babies, little girls, and men who just had their ears ripped off.”
- Oobedoob Benubi

xseler

These are not the firearms you're looking for.
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Zojirushi.jpg

Think I'll make some bread tomorrow. This is bread maker #5 (I believe) for me. The last one was just plumb worn out. This is the first 'ultimate' brand of maker for me. Bet it turns out great!

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Love me some bologna.

“Crying is for babies, little girls, and men who just had their ears ripped off.”
- Oobedoob Benubi
I love that method. Set it up in the morning, go do your thing, and at the end of the day your dinner is ready.
That being said, don't try this method at 8500 feet altitude. Charcoal won't stay lit in a chain like that. Not enough oxygen to sustain it. You can put charcoal in a pile at that altitude and cook with it but it's not going to be real hot.

Tonight had a 31 day old dry aged ribeye from Resors in Bixby. 1 1/2" thick and a truly incredible steak. This is my second, and they do require some cooking technique that is different from any steak.
They are so tender that they are easily overcooked. I can judge the doneness of any steak just by touching it and watching how the steak reacts to the touch.
When you think a dry aged is medium rare it's likely medium well. Slightly pink in the center. That's what happened to the first one we tried.
Tonight when pressing the steak on the grill in the center, I could see movement all across the steak like it was rare, but took it off, rested and it came out medium rare, but on the side of medium. I like mine to be more toward the rare side of medium rare if not rare. It was still extremely tender.

Last edited:

okie362

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I love that method. Set it up in the morning, go do your thing, and at the end of the day your dinner is ready.
That being said, don't try this method at 8500 feet altitude. Charcoal won't stay lit in a chain like that. Not enough oxygen to sustain it. You can put charcoal in a pile at that altitude and cook with it but it's not going to be real hot.

Tonight had a 31 day old dry aged ribeye from Resors in Bixby. 1 1/2" thick and a truly incredible steak. This is my second, and they do require some cooking technique that is different from any steak.
They are so tender that they are easily overcooked. I can judge the doneness of any steak just by touching it and watching how the steak reacts to the touch.
When you think a dry aged is medium rare it's likely medium well. Slightly pink in the center. That's what happened to the first one we tried.
Tonight when pressing the steak on the grill in the center, I could see movement all across the steak like it was rare, but took it off, rested and it came out medium rare, but on the side of medium. I like mine to be more toward the rare side of medium rare if not rare. It was still extremely tender.

Get you an instant read digital thermometer. I always thought that was for sissies but have come to appreciate mine and use it a LOT indoors and out. No more overcooked dry food.

xseler

These are not the firearms you're looking for.
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
First bread (parmesan dill) outa my new Zojirushi Bread Machine. In the past, I've just used the machines to knead the dough......however, the way this one came out, I may just let this machine handle it all! Unless I'm needing hoagies, or rolls, or French loafs, or Challah, or............

1st Zojirushie Bread.jpg

Last edited:

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Get you an instant read digital thermometer. I always thought that was for sissies but have come to appreciate mine and use it a LOT indoors and out. No more overcooked dry food.
I have three, one a bluetooth so I don't have to travel back and forth to the grill, but unfortunately for me, I left all three at home. We were at a resort on Lake Tanneycomo over the New Years holiday and picked up the steaks on the way over.
Wife picked up a stuffed portabella mushroom cap at the grocery store. Cold smoked salmon mixed with cream cheese, put in the cap and then smothered in extra sharp Cheddar cheese. That was an incredible side dish.

cab2c2cbb1091c15897d3cbe2a7e2f42.jpg

Last edited:

Poke78

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Love me some bologna.

- Oobedoob Benubi

I recently saw the "kettle snake" demonstrated on the PBS show, Cook's Country, with a brisket. They used the "Texas crutch" and an ice chest for carryover cooking as part of the process. The meat looked fantastic.

jmike314

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Another “Winter” day in Oklahoma too good to let slip by.

Nothing special. Just ribs. Hot & fast.

Got the coals started.
7d5cfda3e90e49c23f5af206c809dea9.jpg

Coals ready to go.
f87203f3b3bfaf6e76fee168626db6c8.jpg

One basket banked to one side.
83a94594825d7a67ac28f7b16994f296.jpg

A little post oak & cherry.
cde9bc66552b470ae14c0cb227c8ee1c.jpg

Smoke. Smoke. Smoke.
102fc4a9622519556745134569aa4002.jpg

Looking good.
705909a68834e6a8cb51ffc514ac1e9e.jpg

Looking better.
e13e967a13547cad75b794af3c9aca51.jpg

Yep. That’ll do.
af0ebaefd2c7fc31f657d105f006d1d2.jpg

- Oobedoob Benubi

jmike314

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Oh yeah.
I’m the rib eater in this house.
The rest of them don’t appreciate the delicacy that is spare ribs.
So to make them happy I had to multitask.
Grill 2 goes to work.

Pork Steaks & Teres Major
db3f6c903289cd45bed535f553c8d6bb.jpg

e0fbd9ff600e04703843eed181870f7e.jpg

6e49cb330b4b68838d974bec0ca5f5e0.jpg

- Oobedoob Benubi

Latest posts

Top Bottom