Cost of food in the US vs Russia, is he lying?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

El Pablo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Why the heck is it so hard to believe that the price of groceries in russia is so inexpensive and ours is so high? Why is it difficult to see that their standard of living may be higher? You are thinking in terms taught in the 50's and 60's. Much has changed:

1) russia is more capitalistic today
2) russia has low taxes
3) russia produces basic materials the world needs, oil, natural gas, precious metals
4) the war in ukraine is great for their economy, the price of oil and natural gas has gone up substantially
5) russia is in deep with gold and a gold standard currency.

I am not pro russia or putin, but our gov't and banking "leaders" are power hungry incompetant morons, that's why we're suffering.

"They" want you to believe russia's economy is doing badly, so that you believe victory in ukraine is just around the corner and they can continue this moronic war and give billions to ukraine.
I’m sure Russia will welcome you with open arms and ship you to Ukraine. The opportunity costs of those benefits, if even true, I may very well not be worth it.

Why is it so hard to see the price of groceries is completely relative? If the average person in country A makes 100 widgets a week and pays 50 a week for groceries… then in country B they make 1000 thingymajigs a week and pay 250 a week for groceries… Whose groceries are cheaper? This is the comparison one must make. There is more to it than simple price. Without that info it’s a useless comparison.

TANSTAAFL

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’m sure Russia will welcome you with open arms and ship you to Ukraine. The opportunity costs of those benefits, if even true, I may very well not be worth it.

Why is it so hard to see the price of groceries is completely relative? If the average person in country A makes 100 widgets a week and pays 50 a week for groceries… then in country B they make 1000 thingymajigs a week and pay 250 a week for groceries… Whose groceries are cheaper? This is the comparison one must make. There is more to it than simple price. Without that info it’s a useless comparison.
LOL, this is why politicians here are able to manipulate us El Pablo, you feel russia evil to the core, US squeaky clean and the russians are Boris and Natasha, the US Superman or Captain America. Never said their capitalism was good either, from what it appears the billionaires and very wealthy in many instances are ex KGB.

The sooner we admit russia is benefitting and we aren't as a nation, and fight this war with unrestrained capitalism, we can actually hurt russia, but that won't happen with our current batch of incompetants.

Yes, you are correct that the average russian earns less, so local prices are less.

El Pablo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
LOL, this is why politicians here are able to manipulate us El Pablo, you feel russia evil to the core, US squeaky clean and the russians are Boris and Natasha, the US Superman or Captain America. Never said their capitalism was good either, from what it appears the billionaires and very wealthy in many instances are ex KGB.

The sooner we admit russia is benefitting and we aren't as a nation, and fight this war with unrestrained capitalism, we can actually hurt russia, but that won't happen with our current batch of incompetants.

Yes, you are correct that the average russian earns less, so local prices are less.
I think russias leaders are evil to the core, and many of ours too, including Biden and trump. Thinking the US is squeaky clean is to be grossly ignorant of history.

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The FDA says that the expiration date is only when it will lose it's peak for taste. After that it can decline but be perfectly safe to eat for years after if properly stored.
I have read stories about canned food being left in cabins in remote areas of Alaska and people have sought shelter in cabins and the canned goods were 10 years old or so and still edible. When I was a kid, my mother would can things and if a little mold was on top after opening, we'd scrape it off the mold and eat the contents whether it was jelly or canned fruit.

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
They" want you to believe russia's economy is doing badly, so that you believe victory in ukraine is just around the corner and they can continue this moronic war and give billions to ukraine.
I am of the belief that we have given enough money to Ukraine and it is time for the EU to step in and donate because they are the ones that will ultimately be affected if Russia expands her borders. We cannot bankroll the world and we are not the ATM for struggling nations. I agree with trump on his comment that we will loan foreign aid, not give and we will be repaid. It is utterly ridiculous to give billions when we have to borrow the money. Who or what nation will come to our aid if we are in trouble? If we are attacked will NATO come to our defense?

TANSTAAFL

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I am of the belief that we have given enough money to Ukraine and it is time for the EU to step in and donate because they are the ones that will ultimately be affected if Russia expands her borders. We cannot bankroll the world and we are not the ATM for struggling nations. I agree with trump on his comment that we will loan foreign aid, not give and we will be repaid. It is utterly ridiculous to give billions when we have to borrow the money. Who or what nation will come to our aid if we are in trouble? If we are attacked will NATO come to our defense?
NATO is supposed to, by treaty, whether it happens or not is debatable. Other nations have not stepped up in defense of ukraine like we have, but ukraine is not a NATO country. Gotta ask though, if russia had biowarefare labs in cuba how would we have reacted? We did have biowarefare labs in ukraine.

TANSTAAFL

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
lol, ok, I don’t see how you inferred that.
"I’m sure Russia will welcome you with open arms and ship you to Ukraine"

First off, I would never consider going to russia, Secondly, have no respect for either country. Lastly, we have no business there, they are not NATO, we had biowarlabs there, and finally many of the natural resources ukraine has we have here, our politicians and bureaucracy won't let us mine them here. As for production of some of the goods they provide, it also could be done here.

Last edited:

El Pablo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
"I’m sure Russia will welcome you with open arms and ship you to Ukraine"

First off, I would never consider going to russia, Secondly, have no respect for either country. Lastly, we have no business there, they are not NATO, we had biowarlabs there, and finally many of the natural resources ukraine has we have here, our politicians and bureaucracy won't let us mine them here. As for production of some of the goods they provide, it also could be done here.
My point is moving there would be the only way to truly understand the opportunity costs. I’d be killed in no time.

Latest posts

Top Bottom