Costco

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ultimase

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I asked one of them, they were not on official duty. They were hired by costco for the first week for potential crowd control issues. It is kinda weird to me that they were not on official duty yet were in full uniform.

yukonjack

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I asked one of them, they were not on official duty. They were hired by costco for the first week for potential crowd control issues. It is kinda weird to me that they were not on official duty yet were in full uniform.

It's very common across Oklahoma for police & Sheriff's officers to work off duty security jobs. The movie theatre even has a couple on Friday & Saturday night.

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's very common across Oklahoma for police & Sheriff's officers to work off duty security jobs. The movie theatre even has a couple on Friday & Saturday night.
Doing it in official uniform, though, could subject the city to liability if they do something they shouldn't. The legal test for whether the plaintiff wronged "under color of law" is whether a reasonable person would have believed the officer was acting in the performance of his duties, not whether the officer actually was. Trappings of office such as a duty uniform and being under arms are strong indicators of officialdom; I'm very surprised the departments' or cities' respective counsel hasn't advised against the practice.

Mos Eisley

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Doing it in official uniform, though, could subject the city to liability if they do something they shouldn't. The legal test for whether the plaintiff wronged "under color of law" is whether a reasonable person would have believed the officer was acting in the performance of his duties, not whether the officer actually was. Trappings of office such as a duty uniform and being under arms are strong indicators of officialdom; I'm very surprised the departments' or cities' respective counsel hasn't advised against the practice.

This is a very common practice all over the country. I'm sure it's been put to test many times.

Mos Eisley

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Oh, and the meats at Costco are why we've been members for many, many years. We just bought a rib roast for $9/lb. If I were to buy ribeye steaks at the local grocery they would be over $16/lb. I usually cut steaks out of it the day we buy and freeze the rest for a future roast. The beef tenderloin is one of our go-to meats as well. You can usually get a prime tenderloin for around $100 and get quite a few meals out of it. In fact, last night we had some that had been frozen since February and they were fantastic!

yukonjack

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This is a very common practice all over the country. I'm sure it's been put to test many times.

In some places it's not that common. In Alaska it's prohibited by law. The only way to hire extra law enforcement security for an event is by going through the department for that jurisdiction. In Anchorage if your event requires a permit then the police department tells you how many officers you'll need. The city bills you an hourly rate per officer and they pay them. Private businesses like Costco or the movie theatre must hire private security guards. Ethically I like that system much better.

Grendel

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I work for the City of Tulsa, in another department. I'm pretty sure that If I took some equipment from our building and went around town doing odd jobs wearing a City of Tulsa Shirt and getting paid for it that I would be fired post haste, and probably face criminal charges.

You can thank the FOP for cities allowing police moonlighting in uniform, with their duty weapons, and in City owned (and fueled) police cars.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Oh, and the meats at Costco are why we've been members for many, many years. We just bought a rib roast for $9/lb. If I were to buy ribeye steaks at the local grocery they would be over $16/lb. I usually cut steaks out of it the day we buy and freeze the rest for a future roast. The beef tenderloin is one of our go-to meats as well. You can usually get a prime tenderloin for around $100 and get quite a few meals out of it. In fact, last night we had some that had been frozen since February and they were fantastic!
Agree on the meats. We just got a membership in Wichita Ks. and found pork belly's, and lots of other meats that would have to be ordered through a local butcher shop.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Update to an old thread. If you live in a town with a Costco, you can order online and have it delivered to your house.
Same day or 2 day delivery. Minimum order is $35 for one day and prices include service and delivery fees.
2 day delivery, there is no minimum order and if your order totals $75 or more, you won't pay an additional delivery fee. Prime meats included.
https://www.instacart.com/costco

Latest posts

Top Bottom