Diploma held over the word "Hell" during a speech...Crazy Power Trip.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lurker66

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Hell isn't that big of a deal. Warned or not its no reason to hold a diploma. What I can't understand is why she and her dad really care that much. Graduating high school these days basically means that you successfully inhaled and exhaled for 4 years straight and she will be attending college anyway. So held diploma or not its practically a moot point. I think it would be hilarious is they just told the principal to go F*** himself and leave the precious diploma at the school indefinitely while she moves on with her life.

although i did graduate HS, college only needed a HS transcript. Sounds like a rotten deal.

Billybob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The power trip shouldn't be surprising considering what schools have been involved in recently. She might consider herself lucky that she wasn't arrested, crazy?

Anybody remember the "Cash for Kids" scandal? Many Kids there were locked up for school related offenses like the girl sentenced to 3 months in juvie for a myspace post making fun of her principal.

http://www.npr.org/2012/03/03/147876810/after-scandal-new-rules-for-juveniles-in-pa-courts

Looks like it's happening in Miss. also,

http://www.upi.com/Top_News/US/2012...lated-youths-civil-rights/UPI-24031344633701/

Kids are being arrested for some really questionable reasons.

Busted for burping.

[A seventh-grade Cleveland Middle School boy last May was handcuffed by a city police officer, arrested and taken from school to the Juvenile Detention Center after he “burped audibly” while he was in his P.E. class, according to a civil rights lawsuit filed Wednesday.

He was transported without his parents being notified, the suit said.]

http://www.abqjournal.com/main/2011/12/01/news/school-sued-after-boys-burp-led-to-trouble.html

Paper airplanes and perfume

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/jan/09/texas-police-schools

And schools are doing some really questionable things also.

Pennsylvania schools spying on students using laptop webcams, claims lawsuit

http://www.computerworld.com/s/arti..._students_using_laptop_webcams_claims_lawsuit

Did school use laptops to spy on students? Feds won't press charges.

[“We have not found evidence that would establish beyond a reasonable doubt that anyone involved had criminal intent,” Mr. Memeger said.

The government began the investigation after revelations in February that school officials were monitoring students through the web camera on their school-supplied laptops. The officials also had the ability to monitor students by taking multiple screenshots of the content on the student’s computer screen.]

http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Justic...s-to-spy-on-students-Feds-won-t-press-charges

12-year-old sues school district over Facebook profile search

[the Minnewaska school district in Minnesota stands accused of coercing a 12-year-old girl into giving up her Facebook and e-mail passwords, so that a school could spy with their little eye.

CNN reports that she was also twice punished for things she wrote on Facebook.

What seems even more pulsating is that the court papers state that she was called to a meeting at which a school counselor and the deputy sheriff were present.

It was at this meeting that she was allegedly "interrogated" and surrendered the passwords to her Facebook and e-mail accounts.

And, no, her mother had allegedly not consented to the search.]

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17852_3-5...school-district-over-facebook-profile-search/

dru

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The problem that I see is if her college requires a copy of her diploma to process her application, scholarship, etc.

Dave

I initially thought the same thing but i believe the article said she would be attending college this fall (assuming at this date that means she's already been accepted) i understand her being pissed in the sense that something is being withheld from her that she has earned but at the end of the day its just a stupid piece of paper. Doubly so when it has already unlocked the door that you needed it to unlock

OliverKlohzoff

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
She could have easily gotten her diploma from the principal in his office that day with one little sentence. She should have looked him straight in the eye, stared him down and said "NO, I will not have sex with you to get my diploma".....................continue staring until he hands it to her.

Billybob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
She could have easily gotten her diploma from the principal in his office that day with one little sentence. She should have looked him straight in the eye, stared him down and said "NO, I will not have sex with you to get my diploma".....................continue staring until he hands it to her.

Takes a lot to get those type of allegations dealt with, consider the Crain case or the Yerton case.

mightymouse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Withholding the diploma could or could not be a big deal here. Unless things have changed (and I don't know either way right now), it used to be that in Oklahoma if you graduated as either the valedictorian or salutatorian of your high school, you were guaranteed a full ride scholarship to the Oklahoma college or university of your choice. (This program was intended to slow down the "brain drain", i.e., talented students who elect to attend college out-of-state.) It might be an issue to have no diploma if you stand to lose such a scholarship, because it is the diploma that shows that you actually did graduate. I read in another article about this incident that the young lady in question submitted the text of her speech to the school, and used the word "heck" in that copy. Perhaps she misspoke, or perhaps she thought "heck" sounded a bit childish when it came time to say it out loud, but in either case the authorities need to lighten up. "Hell" is not a curse word. Get over it!

XD-9Guy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Over-reaction aside, the fact remains she could have given the speech the way she knew she should have & the way it was presented for approval and she'd have her diploma in hand. Obviously a smart kid, you don't graduate with a 4.0 without knowing how to play the game, it was a little naive of her to try to sneak it in and think nothing would be said.

I wonder if they really can hold it indefinitely for an apology letter? It'll be interesting to see where it goes from here.

Latest posts

Top Bottom