Diploma held over the word "Hell" during a speech...Crazy Power Trip.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

XD-9Guy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hell may not be a cuss word amongst adults but it is definitely a cuss word in high school, especially in small town Oklahoma. Few teachers around here are going to let "how the hell do I know" slide in the classroom, much less graduation. In reality my boss would call me out if I used it in that context, especially in front of an audience.

mightymouse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think you are reading way too far into this situation. The point is that hell is not a curse word and there was no defiance in this case. The administration is being an ass and the girl owes no one an apology.

Her quote was, ‘When she first started school she wanted to be a nurse, then a veterinarian and now that she was getting closer to graduation, people would ask her, what do you want to do and she said how the hell do I know? I’ve changed my mind so many times.’”

He said in the written script she gave to the school she wrote “heck,” but in the moment she said “hell” instead.

http://kfor.com/2012/08/18/46913/
Exactly. Moreover, it is possible that she was thinking one thing ("heck") and said another ("hell"). Public speaking is feared more than death, and she was undoubtedly nervous and could have misspoken. Given her academic record, she should be given the benefit of the doubt. Her elders, meanwhile, have given the swells in this country yet another reason to shake their heads at the doings of us Okies.

farmerbyron

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hell may not be a cuss word amongst adults but it is definitely a cuss word in high school, especially in small town Oklahoma. Few teachers around here are going to let "how the hell do I know" slide in the classroom, much less graduation. In reality my boss would call me out if I used it in that context, especially in front of an audience.

If teachers were to make a fuss about hell, there is no teaching going to occur. That is the least of their worries, even in small town OK.

Cedar Creek

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I agree with the 'fire the principal' idea. He made a mountain out of a molehill and makes his school district look stupid. The young lady earned her diploma and graduation is over - time to get ready for next year. She doesn't need her diploma to go to college - she was accepted and awarded a scholarship based on her transcript and ACT scores. She will need a final transcript sent to her college - if the principal is holding that pending a written apology there may be some real legal issues. The student earned a diploma and it appears the principal may be denying her a property right without due process. If the Prague board of education has any class or pride in their school the principal and superintendent will be leaving town on the next thing smokin'.

Cedar Creek

farmerbyron

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Meanwhile in Massachusetts........

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/08/20/massachusetts-school-district-launches-student-condom-policy/

Massachusetts school district launches student condom policy

Published August 20, 2012

FoxNews.com

A Massachusetts school district will be contacting parents in the next two weeks to detail a new program allowing students ages 12 and older to have access to condoms.

The Springfield Republican reports that officials with Springfield's School Department will emphasize that parents and guardians have the right to opt out if they do not want their children to get condoms.

The access to condoms by school nurses is part of a "comprehensive reproductive health policy" that was approved in a 4-to-3 vote by the School Committee in April. The intent is to reduce teen pregnancy and sexually transmitted illnesses.

Letters and opt-out forms will be mailed before school starts, targeting families of middle- and high-school students ages 12 and older.

Parents also will be contacted by phone.

murphy j

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't know what pissed me off more. The Principal is an idiot, at least half the comments to the article are stupid, the obvious bias in many of the comments and there's the one douche bag that keeps referring to us as 'jokelahoma'. Great job Prague High School Principal, thanks for making us look stupid and reinforcing the image that Oklahomans are just a bunch of backwards rednecks that don't live in the modern world.

Latest posts

Top Bottom