Duck hunting

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Redheads, shovlers, cans all taste just like mallards and pins on the grill............unless mallards have been feeding in a feed lot of course lol. Ringnecks, hoodies and common mergansers are a different story. We shot some buffles and goldeneye a few years ago on the river, and I don't remember them standing out as really good or bad. Teal are the best imo.

indi

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well my duck dreams have been shattered for now. I went and spoke with the person who owns the pond the ducks wear landing in(they were landing about like 3ft on the other side of we're the fence would be). He was a very kind older man, he told me he would have no problems with me hunting there only thing is he stopped hunting there because the shotgun noise was disturbing another neighbors horses. He said if that horse neighbor didn't have horses or didn't mind the noise anymore that I could hunt it. I went and got in touch with the horse owner and found out he does mind. He asked me if I would like it if he drove one of my cars into the pond?...lol(maybe depends on which one). I told him to let me know when he gets rid of them horses, and found out hes a team roper so that won't be for awhile. O well. I plan on getting a flat bottom Jon soon, maybe use it to hunt public land around the lake till those horses die....lol. Keep the info coming cause eventually I will get into some ducks.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Sounds like the landowner of the pond is scared of his neighbor. Too bad you have to get permission from someone who is not the landowner..........I'll never understand.

indi

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sounds like the landowner of the pond is scared of his neighbor. Too bad you have to get permission from someone who is not the landowner..........I'll never understand.

Dam I'm slow!!! Your right. Property owner didn't say to get permission he just said the horse guy is who will mind. I guess I took it upon myself to go ask, making the car in pond response kind of understandable....lol.
Property owner did tell me he does not mind me hunting it.
Are ducks worth the drama?

lkothe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Duck calls...... imo, start off with a inexpensive Duck Commander call. You can get some of them with the training DVD. One of the easiest I've ever called with is a Haydels DR-85. Less than $20, maybe less than $15@Academy.
Double reeds are a bit easier to call with, I prefer them over single reeds. Calls will also sound different depending on location..ie open lake vs flooded timber.
You can spend major bucks on custom calls.... I had a custom dbl reed, $140, for two years till I lost everything except the barrel in flooded timber.
I'm still a beginner but I have fun at it ...... YMMV

Latest posts

Top Bottom