Duck hunting

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

indi

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Several days ago while I sat at my deer spot I noticed bunches of ducks landing about 60 yards from where I was seated. They just kept coming in 6-8 at a time. After seeing so many I wondered what was I doing there with a bow and arrow, I should be over there with a shotgun. But wait I've never duck huntes before....

So what kind of advice would y'all give someone who is thinking about getting into some ducks. I see that it can get expensive quick. I already have a pair of redhead extreme series cleated wader (my cousin bought them for me thinking they were for fishing). I've been reading up on the waterfowl regs so I know about the hip permit and duck stamp.

What kind of shotgun would you recommend? Barrel length? Capable of firing 3.5? Semi or pump? If I get a shotgun I would like to be able to use it for upland birds as well.

I know I probably won't get out this season for ducks since we are towards the end of this season, but I know I enjoy the outdoors and think this will be something that will have me wanting to be out there more.

Any advice or experiences would be appreciated.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For decoying ducks 2.75" 12 gauge is plenty, although many use 3".
I used a Remington 870 for years until winning a Versa Max semi auto in a raffle. Benelli Nova is a good pump action shotgun also. Benelli makes several good auto loaders as well.

indi

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
For decoying ducks 2.75" 12 gauge is plenty, although many use 3".
I used a Remington 870 for years until winning a Versa Max semi auto in a raffle. Benelli Nova is a good pump action shotgun also. Benelli makes several good auto loaders as well.

I got a buddy who wants to sell me his versa max for $900 comes with 5 chokes, I looked at benellis and boy are they nice and alot of $$$ the sbe ii really gots my attention but then I think why not a 870 mag and a bunch of ammo and decoys. How do you like your versa max?
Are 3" good enough for geese / turkeys?

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I got a buddy who wants to sell me his versa max for $900 comes with 5 chokes, I looked at benellis and boy are they nice and alot of $$$ the sbe ii really gots my attention but then I think why not a 870 mag and a bunch of ammo and decoys. How do you like your versa max?
Are 3" good enough for geese / turkeys?

I like my Versa Max, especially since I won it in a raffle. 3" is plenty for a decoyed turkey, but I use 3.5" just to be sure. Geese unless decoyed in close, use 3.5" for the extra shot.

lkothe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Shotgun preference is a personal thing. I shoot a benelli knockoff.. Stoeger and love it.
Decoys, a dozen, maybe 2. U got waders. 2.75 or 3" or 3.5" shells are again a personal preference. Time and experience will show u what works best for your style of hunting.
Learn to call... YouTube or DVD's can show u how to do it and how it sounds, practice is the only way you'll master it.
Camo for face and hands. Waterfowl have been called and shot at from Canada down so they can be wary.

Last thing.....hunt where the ducks want to be. So much easier than trying to call them to a different spot. Sounds like u have a hot little hidy hole. If it's a small spot (pond, slough) don't over hunt it, couple times a week, 3 tops...or they'll start avoiding it.
Get in touch with Porter, he seems to be the master fowl slayer around here.

Good luck!!

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Like said above, be where they want to be. Being where they want to be requires fewer decoys, minimal calling and closer, more predictable shots. We all use 12g 3", but my daughter was one bird short of a limit with her 20g a few days ago.

furlong222

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
keep an eye on wind direction and water depth - you want to be able to retrieve them.....over decoys - high brass - 2 3/4 12ga - #6 shot mod or IC chokes...I hunt with an OU mod/imp.....the smaller the water the fewer the dekes needed....bad weather is good - the better the blind the better your chances - though
I have used a leafy camo net on sticks many times....keep your face down and when they start to come in don't move...they see the movement best of all...the taste will depend on their diet - don't bother with fish eaters...mergansers etc.

its pretty amazing what duck hunters will endure to go after them

lkothe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Double ditto on the Diving ducks.........not worth eating in my book!
BTW, I shoot #3 or #2 shot, 3", Modified choke, 12 ga but my son can kill most anything he shoots at with my Mossberg 500 20 ga.

keep an eye on wind direction and water depth - you want to be able to retrieve them.....over decoys - high brass - 2 3/4 12ga - #6 shot mod or IC chokes...I hunt with an OU mod/imp.....the smaller the water the fewer the dekes needed....bad weather is good - the better the blind the better your chances - though
I have used a leafy camo net on sticks many times....keep your face down and when they start to come in don't move...they see the movement best of all...the taste will depend on their diet - don't bother with fish eaters...mergansers etc.

its pretty amazing what duck hunters will endure to go after them

Latest posts

Top Bottom