Duck Thief

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have lost several ducks over the years to hawks, and one to a really brave owl that must have had sunglasses. Few to bobcats, and one to a coyote that obviously knew just how far a shotgun will shoot.

Nearly lost one to a very large snapping turtle. Snuck up on a pond, shot two mallards, and began to cast a Zara Spook which was my retriever when my buddy with the Lab wasn't along. Something pulled the duck under, but couldn't keep it under. It bobbed back up and I hooked it. Damn turtle's head was at least three inches in diameter, and he chased the duck until I outreeled him. On the next cast I hooked a big bass (it was a pretty warm day in southwest oklaoma). Before I was done, I had caught three nice bass which I released, and killed the damned turtle wich weighed around 35 pounds. I had been after him for a long time anyway. Yes, I know they are now protected, but they weren't then. CB

kh496f

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
There are a few videos on youtube of guys "duck hawking", freakin amazing.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZ9xwKx4EcU

If there was one hobby that I wish I had the time for, it is falconry. It amazes me more than just about anything else.

Thanks for posting the link to that video! That is AWESOME! I spent the last hour just watching falconry videos..

ProBusiness

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
shot a squirrel once, he was handing on the bark like they do with their claws, and an hawl swooped down and picked him up and took him off. never will forget that sight.

keystone1974

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had a hawk steal a rabbit bout 4-5 years ago when we had that big snow storm. I'd shoot them and put em in a snow drift then keep huntin. Well I returned home with one less bunnie thanks to a hawk-eyed hawk

Red Earth

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We lost several ducks this year to hawks..... 3 just last weekend!

When we trained bird dogs full time, the gun shots would be dinner bells to the red tails! I have had one swoop in and steal a pigeon a dog was pointing once!

Pretty bold characters!

PJ

rebelracer79

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
a couple of years ago while deer hunting, I was watching a squirel, thinkin if broad heads wern't so expensive I would stick him when all of the sudden I see something swoop down, grab the squirel off his branch asnd pile drive him into the ground. The rest of the squirels were smart enough to stay in they're fraidy holes after that.

Latest posts

Top Bottom