Extractor Cleaning

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mugsy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Druryj,

I just did a head-to-head comparison of the inter-dental stimulator to a standard toothpick.

Bottom Line - both seemed to work at getting out gunk from the extractor claw and a few other hard to access areas of my pistols. Both benefited from judicious inclusion of a very small patch with some solvent as well. Couldn't really tell any difference but even so your point about cleaning the extractor is a valid one.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
the way most people shoot them without ever cleaning.
Most people being the key word. I've had extractor issues twice. Once an AR and once my M&P USPSA limited gun. That M&P was getting my goat until finding a speck of crud under the extractor. Cleared up the FTE issue instantly.
AR was just cruddy and had gum under the hook so it didn't fully engage the rim of the brass, and had issues with FTE until digging it out with the O ring tools. Can't tell you how many rounds were down that barrel.
I'm horrible at cleaning anything other than my SD guns. They remain spotless.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I looked at walmart and dollar store and couldn't find any of the sensopick cleaners.Druryj where did you buy those at?
Target.

must be the USMC in me but i clean a weapon as soon as i get back home with it. a dirty weapon can get you killed
Or, a dirty weapon can make you do bends and thrusts all night long.

Druryj,

I just did a head-to-head comparison of the inter-dental stimulator to a standard toothpick.

Bottom Line - both seemed to work at getting out gunk from the extractor claw and a few other hard to access areas of my pistols. Both benefited from judicious inclusion of a very small patch with some solvent as well. Couldn't really tell any difference but even so your point about cleaning the extractor is a valid one.
I totally agree with this mugsy, one could probably use about anything small enough to get back behind that extractor claw to clean it. My point is that it does need to be cleaned. One just cant rub a bore snake down the barrel and call it a good cleaning!

rc508pir

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I totally agree with this mugsy, one could probably use about anything small enough to get back behind that extractor claw to clean it. My point is that it does need to be cleaned. One just cant rub a bore snake down the barrel and call it a good cleaning!
Pretty much

I said earlier that part of cleaning is inspecting parts for wear. Ya never know if you have a bad part that slipped though QC. On ARs its especially important to inspect bolts and extractors. Ya cant do that it if filthy from months of firing.

Latest posts

Top Bottom