Fleas

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
actually when I was a kid and we had an indoor outdoor cat and fleas sometimes hatched, my granny would sprinkle 7 dust all over the carpet and leave it on for 24 hours and sweep it up. no more fleas. Ive heard the same can be done with plain salt.
There's something about the idea of sprinkling Sevin dust in my house that just gives me the heebie-jeebies. I'm also told that sprinkling table salt in the carpet will accomplish the same thing, but I can't recall if I've ever used it--it has been a long time since I've had to fight fleas, and I don't remember if I learned about the salt trick before or after that. I vaguely remember sprinkling salt in the carpet, but it may have been a preventative measure...

nofearfactor

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We used a flea product this year and it killed one of our cats, it trashed her liver and she slowly starved to death. She passed last Friday.

Sorry to hear about your kitty. My Boston has been on Trifexis now for a couple of 6month cycles, so far so good, but I did read just the other day about alot of other people having pets die on it. My dogs stuff ran out last month so I am going to wait til spring and his annual checkup and have a consultation with my vet about it before I refill it and he goes back on it. He didnt have any fleas at all all summer, but if something is wrong with the med then I would rather have a live dog with fleas than a dead dog without.

badrinker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your kitty. My Boston has been on Trifexis now for a couple of 6month cycles, so far so good, but I did read just the other day about alot of other people having pets die on it. My dogs stuff ran out last month so I am going to wait til spring and his annual checkup and have a consultation with my vet about it before I refill it and he goes back on it. He didnt have any fleas at all all summer, but if something is wrong with the med then I would rather have a live dog with fleas than a dead dog without.

That is simply an internet rumor, no basis in fact what-so-ever.
The story goes something like this: a litter of pups is raised and sent to new families. Some of the pups are treated with Trifexis and others aren't. A couple of the pups die. The only pups that die have had Trifexis (1 of them several weeks before his death) so the conclusion is drawn that Trifexis kills dogs.

Multiple problems with this conclusion, but the clincher is the dead pups were necropsied and it was concluded they died of infectious disease.

nofearfactor

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My dog just came in from playing in the snow and while I was wiping him off with a towel found a fat blood engorged tick barely hanging on his furr. He goes out and lays out in the garage with the outside dogs so he probably got it from their bedding. Cleaning that stuff up today.

cowboydoc

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

I am not pro or anti Trifexis and personally use another product on my pets, but hate when misinformation is spread about stuff like this. Anyone can make a web page that says x kills cute little puppies. If there are actual facts about it causing death I would be very interested. I have seen occasional mild side effects like vomiting and lethargy.

Here is a link to the necropsy results for the puppies that died that are mentioned in the news report.

https://www.avma.org/KB/Resources/Pages/TrifexisQuestionsTalk-to-your-veterinarian.aspx

nofearfactor

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am not pro or anti Trifexis and personally use another product on my pets, but hate when misinformation is spread about stuff like this. Anyone can make a web page that says x kills cute little puppies. If there are actual facts about it causing death I would be very interested. I have seen occasional mild side effects like vomiting and lethargy.

Here is a link to the necropsy results for the puppies that died that are mentioned in the news report.

https://www.avma.org/KB/Resources/Pages/TrifexisQuestionsTalk-to-your-veterinarian.aspx

Like I said in an earlier post my dog has done 2 cycles (6 month cycles) with Trifexis so far and he has had zero problems. But if you hear or read something that alarms you then there is nothing wrong with having a consultation with your vet at the dogs annual checkup to make sure its just some internet gossip. Hell I even do that with my own Dr at my 6 month health checkups if I hear or read something on the net about a symptom I have or whatever. I will talk to him about it and usually its just chalked up to scuttlebutt on the internet, etc. But I guess I did propagate scuttlebutt myself. Sorry.

Latest posts

Top Bottom