Flu Shot didn't work

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deerwhacker444

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've had the Flu twice in my 40+ years. It was miserable both times. Fever for a week or more, missed work, aches pains. If I can get a flu shot that my insurance will cover that will cut my chances of getting the flu or even lessen the symptoms if I do contract it, sign me up.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was not are that this was an annual thread. I'm not implying that the flu shot gave me the flu, just that it didn't protect me. My wife is a nurse and required to get the shot. I misspoke last night. She got hers over a month ago. She actually administered them to other hospital employees too.

I got mine Tuesday of last week and got sick Wednesday of this week, so maybe mine didn't have time to be effective. I caught it from her though and she had plenty of time for her shot to kick in. I tested negative for the flu but the test is only for A and B and not highly effective. I was told 60% or something like that. We saw different doctors and both were convinced or we wouldn't have paid $270 for 2 Tamiflu prescriptions.

My temp was 101 Wednesday and I felt way hotter last night. I'm guessing at least 102. Body aches from head to toe, especially in my joints, chest congestion and coughing, headache, etc., etc. Pretty sure I'm not "just sick." My fever has let up this morning and I can function without wearing 4 blankets. I need to go in and get some work done. My son has his first basketball tonight and I'm hoping the fever doesn't get too bad till after. I plan on spending the weekend in bed.

My wife has been sick 7 days now. I think maybe she has developed an infection. She is headed back to the Dr. today. Sorry for my whining. Ya'll be careful out there. This stuff is nasty. I am not a germaphobe because I never get sick. I may become a little more vigilant with the sanitizer, etc after this.

Ok, so the shot didn't protect you in less than a week against something that has tested as "not the flu" and isn't responding to Tamiflu.

Got it.

"Flu-like illness" is a broad-spectrum term. Seen a ton of it, same symptoms - know why? Because respiratory viruses are extremely common. I've had it, too. Fever, cough, sputum, congestion, body aches, malaise. Guess what? Not the flu. "Flu-like." Not the flu.

But people sure love to bash the shot. lol. ESPECIALLY on OSA. ;)

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't know if the serum changes or what the deal is. I dread flu shots every year. Sometimes I get no symptoms at all and then there have been times when I was in bed for the next week.

Hobbes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
MOk and your internet diagnosis is more accurate than 2 separate docs here who actually had us in there office. You're also willing to trust a test that is only 67% effective. Got it and I hope I never wind up in your care.

As I said, my wife got her shot a month ago.
Perhaps you should just diagnose all your patients on an Internet forum. I have several friends who are Drs. in different disciplines. They all managed to get through residency without a god complex but I know they are probably the exception. I take it that you are not the exception.
In your OP you said you both got flu shots last week.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
MOk and your internet diagnosis is more accurate than 2 separate docs here who actually had us in there office. You're also willing to trust a test that is only 67% effective. Got it and I hope I never wind up in your care.

As I said, my wife got her shot a month ago. Perhaps you should just diagnose all your patients on an Internet forum. I have several friends who are Drs. in different disciplines. They all managed to get through residency without a god complex but I know they are probably the exception. I take it that you are not the exception.

Did I diagnose you with anything? I was simply restating your case... based on your own words, while leaving out assumptions. I'd be more than happy to not have you in my care, lol. I never diagnosed you with anything, yet you want to attack me? lol Enjoy your flu-like illness, man. Go ahead and blame your shot, blame me, blame anyone out there. This is healthcare in America today - nothing just "happens", someone's always got to be to blame. Someone's always got to complain about how the healthcare system failed them. lol I'll keep going to work, taking care of sick people 'till I pay off my debt, then you and everyone else can have this system which thrives on unrealistic expectations, lack of personal responsibility and blame. ;)

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
s.quickmeme.com_img_8e_8ef77004c6f6f9c8163e33b2401ccb5d543f81b59a8d4a1be4a9532825f8687c.jpg

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

As I said, my wife got her shot a month ago. Perhaps you should just diagnose all your patients on an Internet forum. I have several friends who are Drs. in different disciplines. They all managed to get through residency without a god complex but I know they are probably the exception. I take it that you are not the exception.

You go from posting misinformation to personal attack on another doc..... excellent. Sounds like you need to go back to bed.

FWIW, I believe there are two other docs in this thread that posted, that seemed to sarcastically agree with him.

Latest posts

Top Bottom