Foggy Bottoms/Oklahoma Tourism

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JEVapa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Banned Supporter
Reaction score
Saying that to say this, I have no doubt the State will F’up the closing and reopening, if they reopen, and I would bet that it winds up worse for the tax payers & customers of the State Park restaurants. Cause’… that’s how governments conduct they bizness. Almost everything any government tries to fix winds up worse.
I agree with most everything you say. I do however, think the state should lease each of the facilities to some separate SB and provide oversight. They could figure something out for each site. Contracting all the facilities to one entity is and always will be a bad move; it lends itself to massive fraud, waste, and abuse like we're seeing pan out here.

The caveat, is that just like the USG, the state GOV does not make anything. They don't make cars, guns, ammo, clothing, they don't produce food or materials, and they don't run SB and restaurants, and on and on. Everyone complains about waste and abuse by the GOV, but then in the same breath complain that said GOV needs to provide INSERT SERVICE/PRODUCT HERE.

If you want the state to provide a snack bar or pro-shop or whatever, they'll have to find a vendor and you will pay for it somehow. What we can do is to make sure said vendor(s) are good stewards of our money, and the section of the GOV providing oversight/management is on the up and up.

Last edited:

jakeman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I agree with most everything you say. I do however, think the state should lease each of the facilities to some separate SB and provide oversight. They could figure something out for each site. Contracting all the facilities to one entity is and always will be a bad move; it lends itself to massive fraud, waste, and abuse like we're seeing pan out here.

The caveat, is that just like the USG, the state GOV does not make anything. They don't make cars, guns, ammo, clothing, they don't produce food or materials, and they don't run SB and restaurants, and on and on. Everyone complains about waste and abuse by the GOV, but then in the same breath complain that said GOV needs to provide INSERT SERVICE/PRODUCT HERE.

If you want the state to provide a snack bar or pro-shop or whatever, they'll have to find a vendor and you will pay for it somehow. What we can do is to make sure said vendor(s) are good stewards of our money, and the section of the GOV providing oversight/management is on the up and up.

Spot on. Governments produce one thing and one thing only; bureaucrats. They excel at producing those.

jakeman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Several of the lodges are shut down for remodeled the lodge part
All of the lodge's Kitchens had to be remodeled and new kitchen equipment installed for the new restaurants
Swadleys had to purchases all equipment and over see it being installing. (The state owns the Equipment)
They added 15% to the invoices (Cost Plus normal contracting practice)
The lodges and restaurants lose money every year
The State agreed to reimburse Swadleys for 2.1 million for losses until the lodges could get an enough weekly guest so that a restaurant could make profit

That will be difficult. They are not open consistently enough for anyone to count on them being there. It’s a damn shame. We have some really great parks. They are poorly run, and have been for a long time.

yukonjack

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There have been a good number of comments here, but do any of us actually know the particulars of what they are being charged with? You know, we really like to complain about gov actions, but now we’re taking the gov side without really knowing any details

I’ll make no judgements until the fat lady finishes her song.

Cold Smoke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My wife picked up the State Parks Passport book for our son at some doins we were visiting. It’s taken us all over the state to places we probably would not have visited on our own. Several parks are on our have to return to list for sure. The potential is there for many of the parks if they can find a way to get their amenities management in order.

We were at Roman Nose for a Bluegrass jam in the offish season. It was the last weekend that dining concessions were in state control before Swadley’s took over. Guess we’ll not find out if the food improved or not.

Latest posts

Top Bottom