For my frens

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
Anyone who is banned has an explanation attached to it.
But that explanation is not very descriptive on what rules were broken, which in turn ends up being a very poor lesson to the rest on us on how to ensure that we can continue to being contributing/paying members to our community. Also, most of us do not share personal contact information with others, which further obscured our efforts to understand what can get you banned from participating for life.

Lol, December 15th, two days ago.

No it doesn't. Now spammers and bots that you folks never see, sometimes several a day, sometimes several an hour. Actual participating members, rarely.
Rarely? I’ve seen several just the past few weeks, with no explanation. That seems to be more than rarely.
Really, who are the half dozen and what were their departure dates? I promise you, the mods here have nothing to gain by who stays or goes here. How quickly those who've been here for a few years have forgotten what the previous set of mods were like.......

How many of those "olds" moderators are still here from 2013 or prior to your current account?

What's the shape and size of the box and who determines that? It sure isn't us.
Olds/not us/whatever…. Just because the last group sucked does not mean the “new” group shouldn’t try to be better. many of ya’ll are GREAT most of the time, YOURESELF (@Okie4570) included in my book. Thank you.

But Off the top of my head the list of supporting members banned was Jevapa, panhandle, pissmister, adedferret, CHenry, and judy. I also believe @elwoodtrix caught one in there somewhere. If you would like a detailed list and rough departure dates I could try and find the time to put that in for you with a more expansive list, but I don’t feel like it’s necessary or worth my time.

The shape and size of said box may not be dictated by the mods, however, it is dictated by an outspoken few here and then enforced by those with the power necessary to ban people in the interest of keeping the peace, flexing their might, or protecting their buddies from scrutiny.

Catt57

Gill-Gun Guru
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
"Rules violations" is NOT an explanation. That's less meaningful than a check engine light. If a specific violation can't be cited then the application of the punishment becomes suspect.

I respect the job our mods do and don't envy the difficulty of it, but a ban explanation should not be shrouded in mystery.

Last edited:

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
"Rules violations" is NOT an explanation. That's less meaningful than a check engine light. If a specific violation can't be cited then the application of the punishment becomes suspect.

I respect the job our mods do and don't envy the difficulty of it, but a ban explanation should not be shrouded in mystery.
In years past, just asking for an explanation of why a person got banned would get one the same treatment. No second chances.
It's not that way now unless one breaks the one rule that is a once in a lifetime bust.
I'm not a mod, but read the rules. The bans are progressive unless egregious like threatening someone with harm or worse.
24 hour first offense and it progresses until the person violating those forum rules get themselves banned. It's a forum function.
One can report posts all they like if they don't agree with them, but if they do violate forum rules, they can get assigned points. As points accumulate, the bans are extended exponentially.
It's that easy.
If one wants to throw darts at a member they don't agree with, (not saying I don't disagree with some of them) expect spears to be thrown back at you by the point system.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
But that explanation is not very descriptive on what rules were broken, which in turn ends up being a very poor lesson to the rest on us on how to ensure that we can continue to being contributing/paying members to our community. Also, most of us do not share personal contact information with others, which further obscured our efforts to understand what can get you banned from participating for life.

Rarely? I’ve seen several just the past few weeks, with no explanation. That seems to be more than rarely.

Olds/not us/whatever…. Just because the last group sucked does not mean the “new” group shouldn’t try to be better. many of ya’ll are GREAT most of the time, YOURESELF (@Okie4570) included in my book. Thank you.

But Off the top of my head the list of supporting members banned was Jevapa, panhandle, pissmister, adedferret, CHenry, and judy. I also believe @elwoodtrix caught one in there somewhere. If you would like a detailed list and rough departure dates I could try and find the time to put that in for you with a more expansive list, but I don’t feel like it’s necessary or worth my time.

The shape and size of said box may not be dictated by the mods, however, it is dictated by an outspoken few here and then enforced by those with the power necessary to ban people in the interest of keeping the peace, flexing their might, or protecting their buddies from scrutiny.
I went back 25 pages of banned members which is back to 11/21' , of those there were 4 with multiple accounts, 4 asked for their accounts to be deleted, the 3 this week and the other 614 were spam, scams, or bots. Chenry has been back for a long time, and a changed man, my hats off to him. Elwootrix and Judi are still here as well.

There's no explanation for the masses as to why someone was banned, that's between the mod(s) and the member.

What goes on behind the scenes here not what you folks imagine I'm guessing. Sorting out reports that are legit, and reports that show up just because someone just reports everyone that replies to them if they don't like them, some like to report every new member that posts in the classifieds, lots like to report someone because they don't understand sarcasm, some report bad feedback because someone left them bad feedback because they ghosted the person that left the bad feedback lol, it goes on and on. THEN there's the PM's that get sent back and forth harassing and following each other around because what they want to say, can't be said on the main forum because it's obviously against the rules, so they just do it by multiple PM's. And we have zero way of knowing that's going on unless someone reports it. THEN we get to decide what "rude to another member is". It's subjective and we're pretty lax on the definition of what that is, but it's pretty easy to start picking up on trends of behavior. If we weren't lax in that aspect, there weren't be anyone left here, maybe just a handful of the main contributing members who are here everyday. That's why so many threads get moved to the Hot Topic forum, it's to allow more to go on that would normally not allowed in the General Discussion. Keep in mind, and what the mods keep in mind, is that we're never going to make everyone happy no matter what. We don't take things personal, it's just a forum and some members are more stubborn, more particular, and some more likely to be offended than others, etc. There's all kinds here, and there are members here that post in one manner, and turn around and report someone for making the same comments the very next day. It's not quite to the level of "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest", but some days it's not far from that lol.

An explanation we can see? I must be dense, I'm not finding it.
The person banned can see it, the masses can't of course.

If one spends some time here, there's no mystery about any of it. There's never going to be a day where the mods say "yeah such and such said or did this, or threatened to do this" in a thread as an explanation to other members. It was all out there for the masses to read when it posted. It's just not needed. If we did, there will be some who agree, some who don't agree and it just spirals down from there. We do everything we can do let people stay here as long as possible, sometimes it comes to a point where that's no longer possible.

Catt57

Gill-Gun Guru
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
In years past, just asking for an explanation of why a person got banned would get one the same treatment. No second chances.
It's not that way now unless one breaks the one rule that is a once in a lifetime bust.
I'm not a mod, but read the rules. The bans are progressive unless egregious like threatening someone with harm or worse.
24 hour first offense and it progresses until the person violating those forum rules get themselves banned. It's a forum function.
One can report posts all they like if they don't agree with them, but if they do violate forum rules, they can get assigned points. As points accumulate, the bans are extended exponentially.
It's that easy.
If one wants to throw darts at a member they don't agree with, (not saying I don't disagree with some of them) expect spears to be thrown back at you by the point system.

That's all well and good. But if the one being banned isn't told specifically why they are banned so they can correct the offending behavior then what good is the system? From the information I have received, "Rules violations" was the sole explanation provided to the recipients of the most recent bans.

Catt57

Gill-Gun Guru
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I went back 25 pages of banned members which is back to 11/21' , of those there were 4 with multiple accounts, 4 asked for their accounts to be deleted, the 3 this week and the other 614 were spam, scams, or bots. Chenry has been back for a long time, and a changed man, my hats off to him. Elwootrix and Judi are still here as well.

There's no explanation for the masses as to why someone was banned, that's between the mod(s) and the member.

What goes on behind the scenes here not what you folks imagine I'm guessing. Sorting out reports that are legit, and reports that show up just because someone just reports everyone that replies to them if they don't like them, some like to report every new member that posts in the classifieds, lots like to report someone because they don't understand sarcasm, some report bad feedback because someone left them bad feedback because they ghosted the person that left the bad feedback lol, it goes on and on. THEN there's the PM's that get sent back and forth harassing and following each other around because what they want to say, can't be said on the main forum because it's obviously against the rules, so they just do it by multiple PM's. And we have zero way of knowing that's going on unless someone reports it. THEN we get to decide what "rude to another member is". It's subjective and we're pretty lax on the definition of what that is, but it's pretty easy to start picking up on trends of behavior. If we weren't lax in that aspect, there weren't be anyone left here, maybe just a handful of the main contributing members who are here everyday. That's why so many threads get moved to the Hot Topic forum, it's to allow more to go on that would normally not allowed in the General Discussion. Keep in mind, and what the mods keep in mind, is that we're never going to make everyone happy no matter what. We don't take things personal, it's just a forum and some members are more stubborn, more particular, and some more likely to be offended than others, etc. There's all kinds here, and there are members here that post in one manner, and turn around and report someone for making the same comments the very next day. It's not quite to the level of "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest", but some days it's not far from that lol.

The person banned can see it, the masses can't of course.

If one spends some time here, there's no mystery about any of it. There's never going to be a day where the mods say "yeah such and such said or did this, or threatened to do this" in a thread as an explanation to other members. It was all out there for the masses to read when it posted. It's just not needed. If we did, there will be some who agree, some who don't agree and it just spirals down from there. We do everything we can do let people stay here as long as possible, sometimes it comes to a point where that's no longer possible.

To clarify, I'm not speaking about the public knowing. See my response to dennishoddy.

That's all well and good. But if the one being banned isn't told specifically why they are banned so they can correct the offending behavior then what good is the system? From the information I have received, "Rules violations" was the sole explanation provided to the recipients of the most recent bans.

If my information is wrong, then you have my apologies...

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
To clarify, I'm not speaking about the public knowing. See my response to dennishoddy.

If my information is wrong, then you have my apologies...
They can see what the warnings were for prior to. Also keep in mind of some of the "rules" posted in the rules.

"Disclaimer​

We do not have a rule for every possible scenario, and not every scenario requires a rule to be written for it. When something comes up that isn’t covered in the rules the moderators will make a judgement call based on how we deal with everything else. If something comes up frequently then the rules will be amended to address it."

https://www.okshooters.com/help/rules/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom