Garden This Year?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The wife put in about 500 onions i think, also got some garlic started back in Feb.
Our big thing is brocoli...fresh brocoli is awesome! It only grows in the cool so she will start that this weekend and it will be done when the first 90* day hits. then it comes out and tomatos, squash and all sorts of peppers go in.
I haven't heard anyone mention Okra? We do okra every year also. mostly to pickle.

Edit:BB beat me to the Okra...

Have you ever tried dehydrated okra??

You can eat it and seems you can grind the seeds for a kind of tea/coffee drink. Never tried the drink but once you start eating the dried stuff it is kinda hard to stay out of. Like beef jerky ... I'll just take ONE more bite and then I am done ... yeah! LOL

I like broc but GC hates it ... am thinking about starting some salad greens in a pot, just to see if I can get it to go.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
Have you ever tried dehydrated okra??

You can eat it and seems you can grind the seeds for a kind of tea/coffee drink. Never tried the drink but once you start eating the dried stuff it is kinda hard to stay out of. Like beef jerky ... I'll just take ONE more bite and then I am done ... yeah! LOL

I like broc but GC hates it ... am thinking about starting some salad greens in a pot, just to see if I can get it to go.

Never tryed dryed okra...interesting. I like it boiled, fryed, pickled and even raw! When I am mowing, I'll swing by the okra and grab a few "snacks" to eat while i mow. The smaller ones are best raw, try it!

Mitch Rapp

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Planting okra this year as well. Funny story, my Dad's neighbor had planted some Okra, and when it was about half grown some young people were driving by and saw it. They got out and came over to where he was workin in his garden. Long story short the offered him $400 for his okra, he agreed, they cut it down and drove off. He wasn't sure why they wanted the okra, and was really curious as to why they cut it down instead of dig it up to re plant it.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Planting okra this year as well. Funny story, my Dad's neighbor had planted some Okra, and when it was about half grown some young people were driving by and saw it. They got out and came over to where he was workin in his garden. Long story short the offered him $400 for his okra, he agreed, they cut it down and drove off. He wasn't sure why they wanted the okra, and was really curious as to why they cut it down instead of dig it up to re plant it.

To hell with GC ... I'm planting okra in the front yard this year!! ;)

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Maybe they wanted to smoke it? ;)

P97

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've got Potatoes and Onions up, and just planted more. Already had Grapes, and just planted Blueberries and Huckleberries. Will plant Corn, Beans, Peas, Okra, Tomatoes, and a lot of other stuff a little later.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Do any of you guys have figs? How do they do?

I dated a guy who lived in Norman a hundred years ago and the old lady he rented his room from had a fig in her yard. They sure were good. But I don't know what kind it was ... any ideas??

Latest posts

Top Bottom