Gas Water heaters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DavidWOwens

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Okay OSA, need some help.

What is the typical lifespan for a gas water heater? Mine has been working fine for 8 years. Then last night, nothing. Noticed standing water in drip pan, and no light on pilot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dale00

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No expertise here but.... they tell me we should all be draining the tanks a bit once a year. Letting scale or sediment build up allows scouring to occur which eventually put a hole though the inner vessel.

I just had one replaced that was 14 years old

Last edited:

DavidWOwens

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
No expertise here but.... they tell me we should all be draining the tanks a bit once a year. Letting scale or sediment build up allows scouring to occur which eventually put a hole though the inner vessel.

I just has one replaced that was 14 years old
Well, turns out I haven't been doing that

Decoligny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had one go out on me in my house in CA. It was 21 years old. Don't know how it lasted that long. I think the expected lifespan of a water heater is about 10 years. That could vary if you flush it regularly and change out the sacrificial anode before the threads fuse to the tank. The anode gets corroded before anything else starts to corrode. If it is let go too long, it gets either eaten away to nothing, or completely encased in minerals. That's when the sides of the tank start to corrode.

DavidWOwens

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had one go out on me in my house in CA. It was 21 years old. Don't know how it lasted that long. I think the expected lifespan of a water heater is about 10 years. That could vary if you flush it regularly and change out the sacrificial anode before the threads fuse to the tank. The anode gets corroded before anything else starts to corrode. If it is let go too long, it gets either eaten away to nothing, or completely encased in minerals. That's when the sides of the tank start to corrode.
Thank you

DavidWOwens

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well, this thing was installed 3-16-98... 18 years... And I know I haven't flushed it in the 8 years I've been here... This shall be a fun project

Pokinfun

The Most Interesting Man in the World
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a used, 40 gallon, hot water heater for 50 dollars we just took out of my moms house. replaced it with a bigger one for her walk-in tub. They are easy to install if they are not in the attic.

Decoligny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, this thing was installed 3-16-98... 18 years... And I know I haven't flushed it in the 8 years I've been here... This shall be a fun project

Be prepared, even empty it will be heavy with all the mineral deposits. The one I took out was about 50 lbs heavier than the new one I put in.

Latest posts

Top Bottom