Gas Water heaters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sanford

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Use the flex piping when you reinstall the new one.
If it's not in an easily accessibly location I sure wouldn't if I could help it. Mines half in the attic (above the washer and dryer) and the old soldered copper plumbing was trouble free for three heaters and 40+ years. The most recent replacement was with the flex stuff and it apparently flexes enough that it works itself loose at the joints creating a leak (has happened twice now) that slowly drips causing mold in the wall until it finally opens up into a tiny stream and damages the ceiling in the next room.

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Depends on how hard your water is and if you did any suggested maintenance. I have never done the suggested maintenance. My last one lasted about 10 years until lightning came through the water line. Did not blow up the heater but exploded the water line and decided to replace it anyway because it was not heating the same..

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If it's not in an easily accessibly location I sure wouldn't if I could help it. Mines half in the attic (above the washer and dryer) and the old soldered copper plumbing was trouble free for three heaters and 40+ years. The most recent replacement was with the flex stuff and it apparently flexes enough that it works itself loose at the joints creating a leak (has happened twice now) that slowly drips causing mold in the wall until it finally opens up into a tiny stream and damages the ceiling in the next room.
Ouch! We have lived in this house for almost 30 years. We're on our second water heater with the flex. The unit is in the garage and we walk by it daily.

Pokinfun

The Most Interesting Man in the World
Special Hen
Reaction score
mine is installed the same as yours, but I have never had that issue, 19yrs with flex line.

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Buy the used one above, these hot water heaters are getting expensive! Used to be around $160 and now they're up towards $600 if I remember correctly.

WWIIDigger

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Typically a few years after the guarantee length of the tank. Some more some less. Hopefully u have a water shut off? If not, its a good time to install one-ball valve type. Use the type of nipples that screw into the top of the tank that have the nylon inserts--cuts down on corrosion. And get the best flexible water line connections. Little pricy but better down the road. And check our gas connections with soapy water. Good luck. Oh- and you won't find one with a pilot light any more--all electronic.

Latest posts

Top Bottom