Goodbye Honda mowers

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1911Sooner

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
1691538740363.png

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Question to those who have made the plunge.
Does your battery lawnmower cut the yard on one charge or do you have to buy several batteries and keep charging?
I watch the guy next door and he seems to have one battery and it takes him 3 or 4 days to cut his grass.
I whip out my gas rider and cut mine (twice as big) in a few minutes.

1911Sooner

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Does your battery lawnmower cut the yard on one charge or do you have to buy several batteries and keep charging?
I watch the guy next door and he seems to have one battery and it takes him 3 or 4 days to cut his grass.
I have Ego everything. Mower, weed eater, stick edger, and blower. My yard is about half an acre and I mow it in a single charge. The same battery I move from the other 3 devices and it makes it through a single mow. Only takes about an hour to recharge the big battery. My mower is almost 4 years old now and the battery doesn't seem to have lost any charge.

If you make the switch I wouldn't cheap out. I highly recommend Ego. I've been battling skin cancer so I start mowing about 5:30am and nobody knows I'm out there. And the led headlights on the mower are a huge plus.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have Ego everything. Mower, weed eater, stick edger, and blower. My yard is about half an acre and I mow it in a single charge. The same battery I move from the other 3 devices and it makes it through a single mow. Only takes about an hour to recharge the big battery. My mower is almost 4 years old now and the battery doesn't seem to have lost any charge.

If you make the switch I wouldn't cheap out. I highly recommend Ego. I've been battling skin cancer so I start mowing about 5:30am and nobody knows I'm out there. And the led headlights on the mower are a huge plus.
Who knows, maybe he's running a harbor freight special. LOL!

1shott

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
80volt systems are on the market now.

Multiple batts per mower, look like briefcases, even the push mowers are using the same batts as the riders and zero turns, just 1 or 2 instead of 4-6.

Use times for riders and zero turns from what I have read can be several hours before needing charging or batts replaced with charged batts.

tiasman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

I have all Ego 40v. Regular suburban lot and I can do front back weed edge and blow all on one battery and have about 30% left. I find the stories of neighbors swapping batteries multiple times in a single mow hard to comprehend.

I made the switch this year and love it. I still have my snapper with the 6.5hp Briggs that I bought in 2002 and it starts first pull every time great mower but I’ve not used it this year.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
80volt systems are on the market now.

Multiple batts per mower, look like briefcases, even the push mowers are using the same batts as the riders and zero turns, just 1 or 2 instead of 4-6.

Use times for riders and zero turns from what I have read can be several hours before needing charging or batts replaced with charged batts.
How are they for power when mowing heavy/tall grass?

1shott

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
How are they for power when mowing heavy/tall grass?

They do a pretty good job. Theres different speed settings for the blades, from the videos I have watched it seems the lower blade speeds do better in tall thicker grass than the higher speeds.

While I do not embrace full on the EV movement I will admit there has been substantial advances in batteries and power use.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My Kobalt 40V will with a 5ah battery. The caveats are, 1) I have a normal city sized lot, not corner, 2) I can't mess around, I have to get it done, 3) the grass can't be too tall, 4) it can't be wet, and 5) my mower is the bottom rung push mower and NOT self propelled.

I also don't bag. Starting and stopping drains the battery more than keeping it on constant. I mowed the whole front and back once just to see it it would make it. It did, but it was by the skin on it's teeth and conditions were optimal. I normally just mow around planters, inside corners, etc. and then I fire up the ZTR and mow the rest in like 10 minutes. The Kobalt mower will actually mow deeper grass than you'd think it would, it's pretty impressive. I do like not having to mess with gas or oil, but they are a niche market IMO. Gas mowers aren't going away no matter what the big city libs say or want. I also have the Kobalt 40V blower which I like and the 40V trimmer which I don't care for. My Echo trimmer is lighter, holds more line, has more power and is just easier to use. I only use the 40V trimmer if the Echo is broken now which is never. So to recap, I do like the mower and blower. Not so much the trimmer.

Latest posts

Top Bottom