Gun Insurance?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rawhide

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've learned that my insurance doesn't cover much if any for firearms. I have the NRA ArmsCare basic and have looked at the cost for the Plus option as well as browsed collectinsure.com.

What other options and/or recommendations are available?

FullAuto

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Historic will have the best rates. But if you are insuring less than $18k, go with collectinsure.com. Historic is cheaper rates, but they have a minimum policy of $125/yr (which is actually a $35k policy with them). Collectinsure will cover the lower policies for less because they don't have a minimum premium that high. Their rates are higher though so it's cheaper to buy the minimum policy from Historic than to cover $20k from collectinsure. So if you're just wanting $10k or $15k, you can get it at collectinsure for less than Historic's minimum.

FullAuto

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What info do these folks require to issue a policy?
Historic wants you to schedule any single guns above $10,000 in value but do not require serial numbers. But their highest blanket coverage is $10k. So if you have a few $2k+ guns that will eat up that $10k quickly, then you need to schedule those and use the blanket coverage for several smaller items. Any single gun over $50k needs an appraisal.

Collectinsure wants you to schedule single items over $5k. There isn't a blanket coverage limit though. You simply buy how much you want and schedule the guns over $5k. I'm pretty sure they don't require serial numbers either.

Unless your collection is fairly large, collectinsure is likely the better deal.

FullAuto

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I forgot to mention Historic will give you a 5% discount if you're an NRA member. I'm not sure if that's 5% off their $125 minimum annual premium though. It may be.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Historic wants you to schedule any single guns above $10,000 in value but do not require serial numbers. But their highest blanket coverage is $10k. So if you have a few $2k+ guns that will eat up that $10k quickly, then you need to schedule those and use the blanket coverage for several smaller items. Any single gun over $50k needs an appraisal.

Collectinsure wants you to schedule single items over $5k. There isn't a blanket coverage limit though. You simply buy how much you want and schedule the guns over $5k. I'm pretty sure they don't require serial numbers either.

Unless your collection is fairly large, collectinsure is likely the better deal.

Ok this I don't really understand... Their minimum is $35,000, right? So... that's not blanket coverage? If I have 20 guns at $1,000 value each, maybe 10 at $1,500 each, that would hit around their $35,000 limit. So would I be required to "schedule" those guns? By which I am understanding "schedule" to mean listing it as a specific item (sans serial #). I don't know, maybe I'm just reading too much into this.

I know for a fact I need to up my coverage... I think my homeowner's policy only covers up to $5,000 or $7,000, and I was thinking my agent said they won't add a rider above that. Shelter insurance, if that helps. Don't quote me on that, though, I don't remember. It's been a couple of years, and my collection has more than doubled since then, so I need to get on the ball.

Lurker66

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Ok this I don't really understand... Their minimum is $35,000, right? So... that's not blanket coverage? If I have 20 guns at $1,000 value each, maybe 10 at $1,500 each, that would hit around their $35,000 limit. So would I be required to "schedule" those guns? By which I am understanding "schedule" to mean listing it as a specific item (sans serial #). I don't know, maybe I'm just reading too much into this.

I know for a fact I need to up my coverage... I think my homeowner's policy only covers up to $5,000 or $7,000, and I was thinking my agent said they won't add a rider above that. Shelter insurance, if that helps. Don't quote me on that, though, I don't remember. It's been a couple of years, and my collection has more than doubled since then, so I need to get on the ball.

Boaters insurance and waterproof cintainers.

FullAuto

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

You are correct on the first part. I was wrong. I was interrupting it incorrectly when I filled out their application earlier this week. It says their blanket coverage has a maximum amount of $10k but that's per item and not total. All they met was at $10k, the item would not fall under blanket but need to be scheduled. But you can purchase as much blanket coverage as you'd like (at $500k there are additional requirements). I had scheduled a couple of my Mac's that they said I could remove off the schedule since I had them listed under $10k.

I just got off the phone with them and clarified that part of it because I have enough regular pistols and rifles to easily go past $10k total, but aren't that expensive individually. So I just modified my application over the phone to increase the blanket coverage over $10k.

Latest posts

Top Bottom