Gun Owner Phases

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There was a Knife Owner Phases thread over on BF, and I thought it was kind of funny so here goes.

The old guys that were around before I got into guns probably tired of my noob questions back when I first got into guns. Then I saw the generation of noobs after me do the same thing, and then they found themselves answering questions to the next generation of noobs, and so on and so on.

So what was it like for you when you went from noob to geezer in the gun world? Everyone ends up settling down in a different place, but some go through a mall-ninja phase (I won't lie, I got sucked into the tacti-cool world a time or two), and some stick with hunting-specific guns, while others end up in the Mil-surp world or compete in various matches.

For me it was like this:

1. Grew up with guns in the house, but when I got older I didn't really get back into shooting until I was in my mid 20s (I married young)

2. Bought my first handgun - a S&W Police Trade-in 4043. It was a tank that weighed a ton and had the longest stiffest trigger ever.

3. Wanted a rifle, so I bought a Mini-14 and wanted to doll it up in "tactical" accessories - all of which were junk and fell apart (NC Star red-dot, Tac-Star flashlight, cheap mounts/slings, etc.)

4. Started buying more and more handguns and upgrading to nicer and nicer guns all around but still cheaped out on things like optics, lights, and accessories. Got my CCW. Bought my first HD Shotty (Mossberg Mavrick).

5. Started getting into "tactical" stuff and looking at Sigs, HKs and my first AR build. Started doing a lot of research before purchases.

6. Had a mess of high-end pistols/rifles/shotguns that were too pretty to shoot, so they stayed in the safe and remained pretty. Started buying higher-end accessories and parts. Couldn't resist even decent deals on high-end pistols and rifles. Had about 7 AR builds going simultaneously and always looking for that next Bolt, or gas-tube, or front sight to show up in the classifieds.

7. Built my first bolt-action (or rather, picked out the parts and took to the smith) mid-range shooter and began to start looking at doing more shooting and less collecting. Started regretting some of the "tactical" stuff I had bought and began simplifying many of my guns.

8. Started shooting... a lot. Only really shot a few of the guns in my safe, but shot them as often as I could get ammo for them (I never got into reloading). Took a few classes, watched a few videos, got a few friends together and did as much training as we could do.

9. Lost my job and had the tough choice of selling off guns I could replace or would never use and keeping the ones that meant the most to me. Couldn't afford to shoot as much, so I had to really make it count when I made it out to shoot.

10 Today - own fewer guns, but the ones I own are highly functional and get plenty of use. I'm starting to appreciate some of the guns I scoffed at as well as folks whose ability far outweighs their equipment. I find very few gun deals that can convince me to pull the trigger, but I've got a small wish-list of things I'd like to have (but can live without for now). Started through the knife-phases to distract me from guns. Still don't reload, but I'm convinced that I just don't have the time (plus, I'm eliminating a bunch of stuff around the house that I thought I'd use/get-into but never did and I know that I would just have some reloading stuff laying around if I bought it).

What were your phases and what phase are you currently in?

68mustang

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
1. Guns were handed down to me (Browning A-5, Remington 742 Woodsmaster, FIE .25 Titan :D )
2. Bought 10/22 with intention of modding it, however it shot so good I couldn't bring myself to do it.
3. Got 10/22 stolen, bought another.
4. Got RG 6 shot revolver in .22 for my birthday (dad thought he got a good deal, I don't have the heart to tell him he got robbed)
5. Bought 1911 .22
6. Bough Ar-15 with .22 upper.

As you can see I'm still in the broke college kid .22 stage. But I'm getting the itch to go coyote hunting.

3inSlugger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
1. Never grew up around actual guns. But always grew reading about them and enjoying war movies and books.
2. Brother got in the military and then was a cop for a while, so he introduced me to the REAL thing.
3. Turned 18 and got the bug myself. Bought a Rem 870 HD shottie. Thought I could DO anything with it!
4. Realized I needed/wanted a rifle. Bought a Mauser at a gunshow.
5. Wanted MANY MANY more Mausers.
6. Got the wife a pistol...Bersa Thunder...for her CCL.
7. Wanted MANY MANY more pistols.
8. Too broke to satisfy gunlust.

bigchuck83

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
grew up with guns and hunting
went throught the buy the cheapest i could find stage (some brands are cheap for a reason)
ar-15 and shotgun stage ( sold those during last election)
polymer guns most were great -- plastic guns just have no soul.
back to metal frame guns now and looking into ak rifles and milsurp's
next stage likely to be magnum revolvers and cowboy guns

Zombie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
grew up around them some and was introduced into shooting young - stopped around 10 ish
joined military at 17 - renewed love for shooting
started buying cheap guns (sigma 9 and heritage 22 mag were first) followed by davis and other low end
started AR build
started learning all I could
got a 1911 - sold it
found a lvoe for new rugers

Lurker66

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Grew up hunting, bought alot of rifles and shotguns. Got into muzzleloaders and BP revolvers. Got into handguns and sold or traded em away. Kept g23 & s&w 640. I have dozens of knives and carry a worn out kbar.
I never bought into the tacticool phase, but have an urge for an ar.

Latest posts

Top Bottom