Gunshow admission prices and how to start a gun show questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Navy_chief

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
[/QUOTE]If you want to try this. do it the way everybody else has.
start in small towns with one at the N.G. armory or community center.
with a 100 table show you can start as follows
rent $1000-1500
tables $1000 or maybe free if building has some
advertising $3k-5k
insurance $3k-5k
help and security $1500
total $8500-14k

income will be ???
100 tables $40 x 100 =$4k
admission 1k-2k x $5 = $5k-10k

you would maybe make a few bucks if you watched your money real close or lose your ass like most who have tried and failed.[/QUOTE]

I am not interested in really making money for putting a show on. I would just like to see more gun shows put on in the local small towns at the National Guard armories or some other buildings to rent out maybe the small fairground buildings. You would then probably get the farmers or ranchers or somebody else that has that hidden gem to try and sell that does not have drive 30-70 miles one way and pay $12 to try and sell guns.

hipshot

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think you are underestimating what Wanamacher makes on those shows. He is not spending $150K per show for ads.

Also the table rent is $140.00 per table and he doesn't care if you are buying or selling, I had tables a couple of shows back on the west end and those first three islands on the west cannot set up until 7:30 a.m. saturday and must tear down and be out by 3:15 on sunday and you still pay full price!!! When someone complained about that he pulled out a long list of people wanting tables. I do think he has maxed out his prices for awhile though?

264killer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
i went to a gun show in chicasha at the fair grounds ,years ago there were lots of old codgers there with tables & some city slickers, the locals sure had the best deals

Leadlobber

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What chaps me is the home & garden show is free admission

I go to 1 or 2 shows buy my NRA membership at 1 & order from Powder Valley to make it worth while .

HMFIC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For the last 15-20 years in Oklahoma, there have really only been these promoters: (roughly in order of largest shows)

Wannenmachers
Dennis Diener (Grand American / Sooner / Hall of Fame / whatever he used to call it)
Metcalf
RK
Claude Hall (used to be a lot better)
? can't remember the name ... Coweta and Jack ? (used to put on the Shoe Warehouse building show in Tulsa)
G&S (mainly small shows in smaller towns)

Rooster1971

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't see how these guys are not making a bit of money. I know it's not the same type of venue, but I've bought and sold at several auto swap meets for years. The spaces to rent are as much or way cheaper than the prices previously mentioned. Most of the time admission is free and they have been having shows for years. I doubt anyone is losing money.

One of the bigger swap meets is in Wichita this weekend at the sunflower coliseum. It houses several buildings and vendor spaces are sold out. I have never sold there, but would lead me to believe they are reasonable. It's also all auto related. No baby beanie booths allowed. That show is $5 to park, $7 for two day pass and it doesn't matter if you have 10 people in the car. This show has been going on for awhile and is wildly successful.

The gun show promoters are greedy and it shows with their attendance and lack of vendors.

If you think you could do it, go for it! These other guys suck.

HMFIC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Also the table rent is $140.00 per table and he doesn't care if you are buying or selling, I had tables a couple of shows back on the west end and those first three islands on the west cannot set up until 7:30 a.m. saturday and must tear down and be out by 3:15 on sunday and you still pay full price!!! When someone complained about that he pulled out a long list of people wanting tables. I do think he has maxed out his prices for awhile though?

I doubt it... goes up every show and has for years. He'll keep increasing the table fees until he doesn't have a waiting list anymore.

From what I understand, he has also negotiated a portion of the consession so he gets money from that as well.

HMFIC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have to think insurance on a venue like this is beyond painful, too.

That's a good question. I wonder what the difference is on coverage for a small show vs. a large show? I would guess there is probably some kind of general liability coverage that goes with how many vendors and attendees are estimated.

If it's too onerous, then the little shows wouldn't even be able to put on a show.

Latest posts

Top Bottom