HELP

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DEER 24/7

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Pulled card from camera yesterday. When I put a card in my computer a window pops up asking me what do I want to do with it and I pick open and view file. When I put yesterdays card in my computer a window pop up and said I would have to format disk to F/drive before
being able to use it. I haven't formatted it as I assume If I do I will lose anything that's on there. What options do I have? Is there anything I can do to keep from losing any pics that may be on the card??

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I don't know how to fix it but the card may be bad. I had one in my phone go bad and it did all kinds of weird stuff.

I'm fighting with a Stealthcam now trying to figure out why it won't work out in the field when it works just fine at home. ???

Last edited:

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It could be just plain shot or you may be able to rescue something from it.

First off run chkdsk on the drive and see if it will do anything. Some instructions are available here: https://forums.androidcentral.com/a...guide-using-chkdsk-fix-corrupted-sd-card.html it's written with a cell phone card in mind but honestly flash memory is flash memory.

Trying a different computer is another thing, if it's a USB card reader go get a different one and try it.

You could try a couple tools that are available like https://www.easeus.com/data-recovery/card-recovery-software/sd-card-recovery-freeware.htm or https://www.cleverfiles.com/memory-card-data-recovery.html the bad thing is they are probably free to try and then cost to actually recover anything.

I would honestly grab a Linux based live cd and boot from that to see what it pulls up. Plus there are a few different FREE ways to recover files https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/14560/how-to-recover-data-from-a-bad-sd-card

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Pulled card from camera yesterday. When I put a card in my computer a window pops up asking me what do I want to do with it and I pick open and view file. When I put yesterdays card in my computer a window pop up and said I would have to format disk to F/drive before
being able to use it. I haven't formatted it as I assume If I do I will lose anything that's on there. What options do I have? Is there anything I can do to keep from losing any pics that may be on the card??
If you format it, all data is lost.
Did you format it before using it? Most trail cams have that option. Its version may not be compatible. If its Stealth Cam, they have a list of SD cards to use.
If you can, format it so it will be the same format for the camera you're using.
I have a card reader for my Iphone that I got at Attwoods for $15 that plugs into the charging cable port(lightning) that lets me look at the card in the field, save pics to phone, and allows editing.

DEER 24/7

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
i may have figured it out. I bought a trail cam on sale the other day for 25 dollars and it came with a sd card. Following instructions I put sd card in computer and set it up instead of setting it up in camera. I am thinking this is that card and by putting it in a different camera messed it up somehow.

Swine

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
in the beginning of using any cams, I would have issues if I formatted with pc and then not working or working weird in the cam. Since then I've only formatted the cards using the camera and have never had a problem since.

Latest posts

Top Bottom