Here we go - Tulsa public schools to start review of school names..

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

donner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think the nobility of Lee and Lincoln are in danger of being of being forgotten and replaced by the falsehood that protesting builds a nation rather than constructive effort.

Let a statue of Medgar Evers be erected directly across from Lee so that their gazes meet and people be provoked to think.

But perhaps to your larger point. I do think some of this stuff is ridiculous. The problem, as i see it, is that so many of these symbols are enshrined in official symbols and other places where they have no business. If you want to heal and not divide, lets start with removing symbols with questionable (at best) pasts from the objects that represent our government.

Don't put the same symbol that flew over the confederacy on the flag of a state that is 37% black (or any % black, for that matter).

Chuckie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I imagine 95% of people under the age of 30 have no idea who Medgar Evers is.
My Granddaughters (ages 11, 15, 17) only know that Robert E. Lee was the name of a car on a sit-com (Dukes of Hazard). All three were educated in California-NTM and/or Washington schools.

It is quite plausible that eventually, notable people in history (not saying good or bad, just notable), will be forgotten unless an effort is made to retain the knowledge through memorials, books, museums, etc.

Ace_on_the_Turn

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Troll? Really? Cant have a convo without resorting to name calling huh. That's ok. The internet is full of you guys and you're not worthy of my time

Not to be pedantic, but I didn't call you a troll. I said it was hard to believe that what you posted wasn't a troll post. There is a difference. I truly cannot imagine anyone who would question the long history of Christianity and slavery.

rc508pir

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Not to be pedantic, but I didn't call you a troll. I said it was hard to believe that what you posted wasn't a troll post. There is a difference. I truly cannot imagine anyone who would question the long history of Christianity and slavery.
No, you want to argue that the failings of mortal men are the same as Christianity itself when that is far from truth. THe fact is the bible doesn't say its OK to own slaves. The old testament in fact says those owning or buying slaves are to be executed.

The Koran on the other hand states very clearly that slavery is permissible under many circumstances. I will admit that the Koran is highly contradictory on what is and what isn't and when and when it isn't. Nevertheless, it still says it.

In any case my post about Mohammad isn't about Christians and slavery. We already know the Left wants to erase CHristianinty. My point was that if the left wants to erase some one else's heritage because of slavery then they have to look at others heratidge as well. They cant pick and choose what they want to erase (but they will anyway)

OKCHunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
...And in terms of Stonewall, by 'positive' you do mean things aside from taking up arms against the united states, right?
The British took up arms against us. I guess we need to start a campaign for renaming a bunch of cities and towns in the US that were named after English towns.

By the way, even though I think it was wrong, the Confederates were fighting for their ideals and way of life.

The Founders of our country, who we celebrate, did them same thing. Had we lost the Revolutionary war, would the Founding Fathers be trashed or celebrated today? The victor gets to write the history.

caojyn

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
The Founders of our country, who we celebrate, did them same thing. Had we lost the Revolutionary war, would the Founding Fathers be trashed or celebrated today? The victor gets to write the history.
They'd be remembered as we remember Benedict Arnold, not honored but not forgotten. Arnold on the other hand would be celebrated and revered.

Interesting fact, We have a memorial to a battle won by Arnold, that doesn't have his name.

Dale00

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Nice platitude, but still false. They aren't in danger of being forgotten.

And the idea of a rival monument is nice, but here is what keeps happening to some civil rights monuments down in Mississippi (this one to Emmett Till).

To whom do we entrust the decision on which monuments to tear down?

rc508pir

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
They'd be remembered as we remember Benedict Arnold, not honored but not forgotten. Arnold on the other hand would be celebrated and revered.

Interesting fact, We have a memorial to a battle won by Arnold, that doesn't have his name.
His exile in England want much better. While publicly he was socially accepted. He was quietly disdained by the British military, and he knew it. While over looked for command, he was well respected by our Officers. His own perceived slights against him, led to actual slights against him

Latest posts

Top Bottom