Here we go - Tulsa public schools to start review of school names..

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

donner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I wonder if Lee would have wanted his name on schools? He didn't want confederate monuments, so he might not have felt like he should be honored, either.

“I think it wiser,” the retired military leader wrote about a proposed Gettysburg memorial in 1869, “…not to keep open the sores of war but to follow the examples of those nations who endeavored to obliterate the marks of civil strife, to commit to oblivion the feelings engendered.”

and

“As regards the erection of such a monument as is contemplated,” Lee wrote of an 1866 proposal, “my conviction is, that however grateful it would be to the feelings of the South, the attempt in the present condition of the Country, would have the effect of retarding, instead of accelerating its accomplishment; [and] of continuing, if not adding to, the difficulties under which the Southern people labour.”

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/updates/robert-e-lee-opposed-confederate-monuments/

Dale00

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yes, Lee said not to erect statues of him..... a commendable sentiment...but not necessarily one that should be obeyed.

Yes there are bad people who have latched onto the confederacy as a banner....instead of purging the history books and tearing down monuments why not use it as a time to discuss, educate and debate?.......because political correctness does not allow for that. Civil and free speech is lacking and that is tragic. With the suppression of free speech, pressure builds.

What is the dirt on Stonewall Jackson? All I have read about him is positive.

donner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yes, Lee said not to erect statues of him..... a commendable sentiment...but not necessarily one that should be obeyed.

Yes there are bad people who have latched onto the confederacy as a banner....instead of purging the history books and tearing down monuments why not use it as a time to discuss, educate and debate?.......because political correctness does not allow for that. Civil and free speech is lacking and that is tragic. With the suppression of free speech, pressure builds.

What is the dirt on Stonewall Jackson? All I have read about him is positive.

People all over are having civil, free, discussions on the topic. Removing a statue and putting it in a museum does not stop that nor is it erasing history. Come to my town, drive down jefferson davis drive, pass three or four businesses with "Dixie" in the name. No, you can't drive down 'confederate way' on campus anymore, but you can still follow the road to the confederate cemetery on campus. Not counting the countless flags you still see flying all over this area (including one man who flies his battle flag above the American flag). No, the confederacy is in no danger of being erased or forgotten here.

and these people haven't just 'latched onto the confederacy as a banner', they've been here since the end of the war. They've wielded the flag as a weapon of fear, flown it at cross burnings and waived it the night they rioted to keep a black man out of ole miss. If the good people want to keep the battle flag as a symbol of their heritage, i saw more power to em. But that starts with taking ownership of the symbol and shouting down ones who have latched on. But that hasn't happened.

For some it is their 'heritage' but denying one doesn't make the other less true. Luckily, we're having the conversation at all.

And in terms of Stonewall, by 'positive' you do mean things aside from taking up arms against the united states, right?

Dale00

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
People all over are having civil, free, discussions on the topic. Removing a statue and putting it in a museum does not stop that nor is it erasing history. Come to my town, drive down jefferson davis drive, pass three or four businesses with "Dixie" in the name. No, you can't drive down 'confederate way' on campus anymore, but you can still follow the road to the confederate cemetery on campus. Not counting the countless flags you still see flying all over this area (including one man who flies his battle flag above the American flag). No, the confederacy is in no danger of being erased or forgotten here.

and these people haven't just 'latched onto the confederacy as a banner', they've been here since the end of the war. They've wielded the flag as a weapon of fear, flown it at cross burnings and waived it the night they rioted to keep a black man out of ole miss. If the good people want to keep the battle flag as a symbol of their heritage, i saw more power to em. But that starts with taking ownership of the symbol and shouting down ones who have latched on. But that hasn't happened.

For some it is their 'heritage' but denying one doesn't make the other less true. Luckily, we're having the conversation at all.

And in terms of Stonewall, by 'positive' you do mean things aside from taking up arms against the united states, right?

You have shared some truths, but the issue is being exploited to further drive a wedge between Americans. To open wounds, not to heal them.

To condemn those that led on the rebel side is short-sighted. Much effort went into repairing the gap and reunifying the country. We should respect those efforts. Fear of respecting noble men on the wrong side of history, cheapens our heritage.

Exault the civil right leaders...absolutely. This is a better path than rewriting history. Put a monument up to Medgar Evers ...do not tear down Lee and Jackson. We have the space.

Latest posts

Top Bottom