Homeowners Association problems

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benjamin-benjamin

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
So, we payed our 700 dollar homeowners fee 4 days late and they are charging a 50 dollar late fee and said they are going to send us to collections, is there any way i can fight this or is it a waste of time..

HMFIC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You do need to be careful with HOAs because legally it's possible for them to actually place a lien on your home and force a sale to recoup the money owed.

I'd probably just go down face to face and tell them that nobody wins with this. They'd end up spending a ton of money to try and collect it and in the end it would cost them more just to get you to pay.

Try noting some of the things that they have failed on like keeping restrictions around the HOA in check (if it's anything like my neighborhood, we have PLENTY of violators) and let them know you're sorry for being a little late but the fact is that it's paid.

Check the contract if you want to fight them and make sure they don't have legal recourse.

ZombieHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Honestly, pay the fee, HOA'a can actually take your home right out from under you and auction it off to the highest bidder if nonpayment continues, even for 50$.

They are Snakes in the grass.

jrusling

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So, we payed our 700 dollar homeowners fee 4 days late and they are charging a 50 dollar late fee and said they are going to send us to collections, is there any way i can fight this or is it a waste of time..

It depends on the rules of the HOA. If they call for a $50 late fee, the just pay up. If you don't they can also put a lien on you property.

Danny Tanner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm not sure what it costs to send somebody to collections but it doesn't seem worth the time and effort for $50.

Also, would it even be possible for this to be reported on your credit? And since you paid your actual HOA dues, could they even put a lien on the house over late fees?

Sorry I'm not much help, I'm wondering if they're just trying to intimidate you.

Norsican

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Pay it and look to move. I swear I won't deal with a HOA i know little about. Sure you can give me all the flyers your want but until I know how things *really* are, I'm not signing jack.

Talacker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Pay the fee. I have been on an HOA treasurer and these fees are the only way to get people to pay on time. I am guessing you had a month or two to pay before late fees are assessed, that's how we did it. $50 sucks for only 4 days. I would approach the board and apologize for being late, but it was only 4 days, would they settle for $25. If not, pay the $50 and pay on time next year.

Dr. HK

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was a HOA President of an association with over 200 properties in one complex. The bylaws is everything. I have foreclosed several times. Not because of late payments (then I would take the proper course and work with them) but because of gang activity, etc. Example there were some drug dealers, so I had security watch the place for several months note people coming and going etc. Create a paper trail. Then I started having security ask for IDs, search them (they can do it, it is private property). Then I started fining the unit for this. Once they decided not to pay I would foreclose and the entire complex would be safer and better because of it. I think you should work out the late payment in a HOA monthly meeting or with the Management company, these are generally their fees and are split between the HOA and the management company 50/50

Latest posts

Top Bottom