Homeowners Association problems

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Werewolf

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Pay the fee. I have been on an HOA treasurer and these fees are the only way to get people to pay on time. I am guessing you had a month or two to pay before late fees are assessed, that's how we did it. $50 sucks for only 4 days. I would approach the board and apologize for being late, but it was only 4 days, would they settle for $25. If not, pay the $50 and pay on time next year.

[rant on]

Yeah...

That's the ticket...

Knuckle right under to a bunch of anal tin pot dictators more worried about the color of a window shade than the kid running loose in the neighborhood vandalizing mailboxes and planters on porches.

HOA's - arrrrrghhghgh! Unions for snobby, arrogant yuppies. Ya gotta love 'em.

[rant off]

Shoot Summ

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It's funny, let's change this from HOA, to you paid your mortgage(or any other creditor) late, think you are going to get any leniency on the late fees?

Why is it different because it is an HOA, just because everyone hates them?

Pay your bills on time, no problems that way....

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's funny, let's change this from HOA, to you paid your mortgage(or any other creditor) late, think you are going to get any leniency on the late fees?

It's an apples to oranges comparison.

Apples to apples would be HOA vs IRS.

Billybob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
American Homeowners Resource Center

http://www.ahrc.se/new/index.php/src/tools/sub/newsletter/action/display/id/817

Homeowners Associations Are Out of Control in Texas

http://blogcritics.org/politics/article/homeowners-associations-are-out-of-control/

[These HOAs are essentially micro-governments with very broad powers and with little accountability to anyone outside of the dominant voting faction in their neighborhood. Residents who are out of step with their neighbors or who run into problems with the rules of their neighborhood have few recourses if the HOA board decides to single them out for persecution, and punishment usually comes in the form of fines which may eventually lead to a lien being placed against the property and even seizure of the property.]

[Clements' great transgression is that his business of choice — his method of earning a living in these lean times — is to sell firearms to hunters and law enforcement. It's a perfectly legal business. He has the right permits from the federal government. He has broken no state or federal laws and his business is protected by both the Second and Fourth Amendments to the Constitution. But none of that seems to protect him from the Falcon Point HOA which has passed a rule specifically prohibiting residents from buying and selling firearms in the neighborhood, a rule written specifically to target just one homeowner, Andrew Clements.]

[While Captain Clauer was in Iraq his wife Mae became depressed and didn't pay attention to responsibilities like opening mail and paying bills. She never saw notices from the HOA about outstanding fees or the lien on the property and ultimately the foreclosure which they lead to. Ultimately the $300,000 home, which was a gift from her parents, was foreclosed on and sold for barely a 100th of its value to cover $800 in fees and fines. This despite the protections of the Constitution, Texas law, and the Service members Civil Relief Act which is supposed to protect the jobs and property of soldiers on deployment.]

benjamin-benjamin

Sharpshooter
Reaction score

Yes you will, even credit cards have a 7 day grace period... i have never worked with anybody (mortgage, etc..) where i have paid on time for YEARS and was 4 days late and got hit with a charge they wouldn't overturn...that is my problem, the HOA is the ONLY place i have ever dealt with that it is that way, don't you think it is a problem when you credit card company is nicer than your HOA??

Shoot Summ

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yes you will, even credit cards have a 7 day grace period... i have never worked with anybody (mortgage, etc..) where i have paid on time for YEARS and was 4 days late and got hit with a charge they wouldn't overturn...that is my problem, the HOA is the ONLY place i have ever dealt with that it is that way, don't you think it is a problem when you credit card company is nicer than your HOA??

Like I said, pay on time, no issues, if you don't take the consequences, sorry, I have no sympathy.....

If you couldn't pay on time, why not ask for forgiveness before hand, might have better luck getting the fee waived.

benjamin-benjamin

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Like I said, pay on time, no issues, if you don't take the consequences, sorry, I have no sympathy.....

If you couldn't pay on time, why not ask for forgiveness before hand, might have better luck getting the fee waived.

well, i appreciate you taking your time out to tell me how little sympathy you have for me, it is funny to me how people go out of their way to say stuff like this... thanks again..

Latest posts

Top Bottom