How 'bout a little fiddle music?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

been

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
he'rs a little fiddle.
smallest-violin.jpg

Cohiba

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
One more and I'll stop. NOT fiddle music but one of my favorite zydeco players and singers.

The son of the King of Zydeco...C. J. Chenier. His daddy was the King of Zydeco...Clifton Chenier.

Just gotta love ya some good Zydeco. Crawfish boil, gator tail, blue crabs, all kinds of gumbo, turtle soup and cold, cold, beer......with Zydeco!!!!

C.J. Chenier.....NOT fiddle, but just as good.
Bow Legged Woman:

Cohiba

Last edited by a moderator:

Cohiba

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, this is the last for sure, I gotta go to sleep and work tomorrow!!!

I forgot about the Balfa Brothers.....traditional Cajun music/fiddle.

This is a traditional Mardi Gras song:

English Translation:
The Mardi Gras come from everywhere around the hub.
Once each year to ask for charity. An old potato, a potato and some cracklins.

The Mardi Gras come from everywhere around the hub. Once each year to ask for charity. An old potato, a potato and some cracklins.

Captain, captain wave your flag, all around the hub. Once each year to ask for charity.

The Mardi Gras come from England, all around the hub. Once each year to ask for charity. And potatoes, potatoes and cracklins.

*** What I mean by this......"Traditional Mardi Gras"

The Courir de Mardi Gras is a traditional Mardi Gras event held in many Cajun communities of south Louisiana on the Tuesday before Ash Wednesday. Courir de Mardi Gras is French for "Fat Tuesday Run". The rural Mardi Gras celebration is based on early begging rituals, similar to those still celebrated by mummers, wassailers and celebrants of Halloween.

These origins are in the customs of Catholic Medieval Europe, specifically the fête de la quémande ("feast of begging") of Medieval France. During the fête, which was a time when begging from house to house was a socially acceptable behavior, disguised revelers would go through the countryside visiting households and performing for offerings. This is similar to other contemporary traditional European customs such as mumming and wassailing which usually occur around Christmas, New Year's, and Epiphany. These traditions originated in a time when most of the land and money was held by the upper classes. The poor, at the end of long winters and short on food, would gather in groups and make their way from castle to manor house to beg for food from the wealthy, dancing and singing in return for the generosity of the nobles.

These traditions were carried to North America by European immigrants during the 17th and 18th centuries. In the mid to late 18th century when the Acadian settlers of the Canadian Maritimes were forcibly deported by the English, many made their way to South Louisiana, settling what would become known as the Acadiana region. The Cajuns, as they would become known to the rest of the world, have held on to many of their traditional customs, including their language (Acadian French became Cajun French), music, dances and religious festivals such as the courir. This determination to hold on to their religious customs and faith has been a major factor in creating the atmosphere that has allowed for the celebration of life, or "la joie de vivre," that is so characteristic of Cajun life and culture in South Louisiana.

People escape from ordinary life through the alcohol and the roles they portray in costume. In the early morning the riders or runners or Mardi Gras (as the troop and its individual members are known) gather in a central meeting place. As they gather, Le Capitaine (the leader of the Mardi Gras) and his co-capitaines explain the rules and traditions that must be followed. The Capitaine usually rides on horseback, wears a cape and carries a small flag. After he organizes the troop, the bands begin to play and he leads them on the route. Traditions vary in each town with the way it is carried out. Some towns have people on horse back, some on trailers and some on foot, and others use a variation of all three methods. The Capitaine is the first to approach the houses along the route, to ask permission to enter onto their property. At this point, in the spirit of frivolity, individual Mardi Gras will attempt to sneak onto the property. They are held in check by the Capitaines, who sometimes brandish a plaited burlap whip.

4.bp.blogspot.com__H4aSjnG6ts0_T0bz1Bhzu5I_AAAAAAAAAag__VvLqBacc5e182730e186f61f7414a1819022b8.jpg

[Broken External Image]

[Broken External Image]

So concludes my lesson on Cajuns and Mardi Gras or Courir de Mardi Gras.

Cohiba

been

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, this is the last for sure, I gotta go to sleep and work tomorrow!!!

I forgot about the Balfa Brothers.....traditional Cajun music/fiddle.

This is a traditional Mardi Gras song:

English Translation:
The Mardi Gras come from everywhere around the hub.
Once each year to ask for charity. An old potato, a potato and some cracklins.

The Mardi Gras come from everywhere around the hub. Once each year to ask for charity. An old potato, a potato and some cracklins.

Captain, captain wave your flag, all around the hub. Once each year to ask for charity.

The Mardi Gras come from England, all around the hub. Once each year to ask for charity. And potatoes, potatoes and cracklins.

*** What I mean by this......"Traditional Mardi Gras"

The Courir de Mardi Gras is a traditional Mardi Gras event held in many Cajun communities of south Louisiana on the Tuesday before Ash Wednesday. Courir de Mardi Gras is French for "Fat Tuesday Run". The rural Mardi Gras celebration is based on early begging rituals, similar to those still celebrated by mummers, wassailers and celebrants of Halloween.

These origins are in the customs of Catholic Medieval Europe, specifically the fête de la quémande ("feast of begging") of Medieval France. During the fête, which was a time when begging from house to house was a socially acceptable behavior, disguised revelers would go through the countryside visiting households and performing for offerings. This is similar to other contemporary traditional European customs such as mumming and wassailing which usually occur around Christmas, New Year's, and Epiphany. These traditions originated in a time when most of the land and money was held by the upper classes. The poor, at the end of long winters and short on food, would gather in groups and make their way from castle to manor house to beg for food from the wealthy, dancing and singing in return for the generosity of the nobles.

These traditions were carried to North America by European immigrants during the 17th and 18th centuries. In the mid to late 18th century when the Acadian settlers of the Canadian Maritimes were forcibly deported by the English, many made their way to South Louisiana, settling what would become known as the Acadiana region. The Cajuns, as they would become known to the rest of the world, have held on to many of their traditional customs, including their language (Acadian French became Cajun French), music, dances and religious festivals such as the courir. This determination to hold on to their religious customs and faith has been a major factor in creating the atmosphere that has allowed for the celebration of life, or "la joie de vivre," that is so characteristic of Cajun life and culture in South Louisiana.

People escape from ordinary life through the alcohol and the roles they portray in costume. In the early morning the riders or runners or Mardi Gras (as the troop and its individual members are known) gather in a central meeting place. As they gather, Le Capitaine (the leader of the Mardi Gras) and his co-capitaines explain the rules and traditions that must be followed. The Capitaine usually rides on horseback, wears a cape and carries a small flag. After he organizes the troop, the bands begin to play and he leads them on the route. Traditions vary in each town with the way it is carried out. Some towns have people on horse back, some on trailers and some on foot, and others use a variation of all three methods. The Capitaine is the first to approach the houses along the route, to ask permission to enter onto their property. At this point, in the spirit of frivolity, individual Mardi Gras will attempt to sneak onto the property. They are held in check by the Capitaines, who sometimes brandish a plaited burlap whip.

4.bp.blogspot.com__H4aSjnG6ts0_T0bz1Bhzu5I_AAAAAAAAAag__VvLqBacc5e182730e186f61f7414a1819022b8.jpg

[Broken External Image]

[Broken External Image]

So concludes my lesson on Cajuns and Mardi Gras or Courir de Mardi Gras.

Cohiba

been approves this post

Latest posts

Top Bottom