How 'bout a hot cup of Joe...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HillsideDesolate

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I brew coffee at home from ground whole beans. My peferred brands are Starbucks (I can feel the flamin' arrows already) and Dunkin'. I been drinking the Starbucks Yukon blend since 1971 when I discovered it on a business trip to Seattle.
Yukon Blend has an interesting history of being one of the very first blends. Indeed, it was mentioned in the Seattle Times in a 1971 review about the new Starbucks store at Pike Place Market. The official Starbucks Yukon Blend story goes like this:

“Starbucks lore tells the tale of Yukon Blend® as a coffee created for one of our original customers – the captain of a fishing boat. He asked us to make a coffee blend for his crew that could stand up to the frigid mornings and long days fishing in the cold waters where the Yukon River feeds into the Bering Sea. We created Yukon Blend®: a hearty, bold, well-rounded coffee that can withstand any adventure the day might throw at you … even icy waves over the bow.”

Yukon Blend has the distinction of being in the coffee lineup and then removed from the lineup between sometime in 2008 to about August 2009 when it was reintroduced as an organic coffee. I can’t think of another coffee that started out as a core coffee, pulled from the shelves to be reformulated as organic, and re-introduced as an organic core coffee. This grizzly blend has been around since 1971 and well loved ever since.

Yukon Blend was also a favorite of La Boulange founder Pascal Rigo. Back when Starbucks operated La Boulange stores, their house coffee offering was indeed Yukon Blend, though not called that. Speaking of Yukon Blend being sold under different names, this coffee was at one time sold in Texas under the name “Big Hat Blend.”
For all the Starbucks hate, they do have some decent blends, they are also the ones responsible for bringing the aforementioned Italian roasting machine into the US. I dearly miss La Boulange, I use yo get bread there daily when I lived downtown. It was one of those rare places that every time you go inside it's beautiful.

mgssamn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Coffee from 6am to 10:30 am. BLACK
depends how busy I am- 3-6 cups 8oz
I do like a special coffee once in a while traveling long distances but dont like to pay for it. I can make it at home just as good in my opinion and for sure cheaper.
I usually grind whole beans or buy on sale kuerig cups. My ground usually is done in keurig as well in a plastic manual refill kcup.

red dirt shootist

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Starbucks is crap, they don't know how to make coffee, if you want a fru fru coffee, loaded with milk and sugar, they have that. Ever seen a roasting date on their coffee, of course not, they aren't about coffee, they are all about marketing
I've made coffee every way it can be made, at least that I know of. When you say coffee, that is a very wide subject, from instant to espresso. Instant speaks for itself, but espresso, that is the elixer of the gods. Expensive, complicated, difficult, but if you nail it, unbelievable. The problem is no one around here knows what espresso tastes like, everyone thinks it tastes like burnt coffee, That's because they bought some fru fru coffee machine and then blew a whole 50 bucks on the grinder. The grinder should cost more (at least 500 bucks) than the coffee machine, and your coffee should not have been roasted more than three days ago.
Having said all that, you will not believe the money and time you will spend on all that insanity. What I finally figured out is nothing beats a good cup of drip coffee, just like Glock em down said, easy, cheap, good.
And like a friend of mine says, "It ain't about the coffee, it's about the pastry."

Now, as a pro tip for you guys that are socially awkward, if you're out and about and see some little gal, ask her if she has time to have a cup of coffee with you. Then as you're enjoying that and sharing a piece of pie, tell her about coffee, where it's grown, how it's harvested, the economic impact on some of the poorest countries in the world, it goes on and on. Then buckle up, coffee is the language of romance. Forget the fru fru sissy pants talk of wine.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wow! Some of you blokes take yer coffee swillin' very seriously.
Shoot, bubba, they ain’t mentioned nothing yet. My normal “get out the door” coffee comes from a Cuisinart that grinds the beans before making the coffee, but when I have the time, I have an electric kettle, a hand burr grinder, a Hario digital scale, and a Chemex carafe that I use to make an exceptional cup of coffee.

Doesn’t stop me from drinking the stuff at work or even at QT or Loves, but it’s nice to have a quality cup of coffee every now and then.

golddigger14s

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Starbucks is crap, they don't know how to make coffee, if you want a fru fru coffee, loaded with milk and sugar, they have that. Ever seen a roasting date on their coffee, of course not, they aren't about coffee, they are all about marketing
I've made coffee every way it can be made, at least that I know of. When you say coffee, that is a very wide subject, from instant to espresso. Instant speaks for itself, but espresso, that is the elixer of the gods. Expensive, complicated, difficult, but if you nail it, unbelievable. The problem is no one around here knows what espresso tastes like, everyone thinks it tastes like burnt coffee, That's because they bought some fru fru coffee machine and then blew a whole 50 bucks on the grinder. The grinder should cost more (at least 500 bucks) than the coffee machine, and your coffee should not have been roasted more than three days ago.
Having said all that, you will not believe the money and time you will spend on all that insanity. What I finally figured out is nothing beats a good cup of drip coffee, just like Glock em down said, easy, cheap, good.
And like a friend of mine says, "It ain't about the coffee, it's about the pastry."

Now, as a pro tip for you guys that are socially awkward, if you're out and about and see some little gal, ask her if she has time to have a cup of coffee with you. Then as you're enjoying that and sharing a piece of pie, tell her about coffee, where it's grown, how it's harvested, the economic impact on some of the poorest countries in the world, it goes on and on. Then buckle up, coffee is the language of romance. Forget the fru fru sissy pants talk of wine.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

You sir, are definitely a coffee aficionado. Yes, I've tried espresso. Like you said, it tasted like burnt coffee. But that's ok...I didn't realize that good ol' coffee could or should be orgasmic.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I still have my Bilati and burr mill grinder. If you like Folgers, Cains, etc. and it works for you never try a cup of good fresh ground bean coffee brewed right after grinding in an aeropress, Bilati pot, french press, or even a drip. You will never like any of the cheap low grade, mass produced crap again.

Starbucks has one blend out that I like. It's a "blond" roast but I forget which one it is. All their other blends and dark roasts taste like they took perfectly good beans and burnt the crap out of them on purpose. Blech... Black Rifle, Seattle's Best and any other "quality" brands taste like the same burnt ass bean soup to me.

I feel the same about any coffee that comes out of a percolator pot. If you want to ruin good coffee regardless of type or brand just boil it. That'll ruin it post haste. Percolators are a crime against humanity.

I still have all my fancy gizmos for coffee making, but these days my Keurig is close enough. It makes a good cup as long as you put good stuff in it, and it's fast and easy.

The absolute best coffee made on the planet is Douwe Egberts. They roast AND brew it and then distill it down to a syrup. Their special machine heats it and mixes it with hot water back to the strength they want it to be. I have no idea how they get the flavor they do but I tried to duplicate it by trying every brewer known to man and it ain't even close to the same. I even contemplated dropping a couple of grand on one of their commercial machines and sourcing the syrup somewhere. That stuff is like what I think crack, meth, and heroin all put together must be like. It's that good....

Uncle Meat

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I hated it.
Then I moved to South America (Ecuador).
It's pretty good down there.
Even the instant if you can imagine.

I loved when I was a kid seeing the old timers drink their coffee out of a saucer.
Those huge stashes got in the way.

Latest posts

Top Bottom