How do you feel about stores that don't take cash?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

yukonjack

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I also pay with cash for most items. I had a debit card, but closed that checking acct. Now I would not shop there if a business wouldn't take cash.

I pay at the pump w/ a credit card and online purchases. I agree eventually cash will be a dinosaur.

Soon you won't even need a debit or credit card. You'll just have a bar code tattooed on your wrist. Now, that will sure be convenient. With the wide spread acceptance of tattoos by the masses it won't be a hard sell at all. If I walked into a retail site that didn't take cash I'd walk out with just as much as I walked in with.

greenbeetle

Marksman
Reaction score
Not accepting cash is probably the dumbest thing for business, but I'm not a corporate CEO. Why would you not accept legal, US tender?

We would only accept US legal tender. US dollars. The question is whether or not it would be paper money. As to reasons see post #62. No-cash is sounding no-popular!

greenbeetle

Marksman
Reaction score
View attachment 21715

i'd go as far as to say raising the middle finger to our national currency is anti-american.

The dollar is the US currency and takes many forms. Paper money is not the only form of the US dollar. Promissory notes, checks, cash, credit cards, coins, etc can be denominated in US dollars. No one is suggesting using pesos or the euro, just what form of the US dollar accepted. This is primarily due to safety and efficiency concerns (post #62) and not in an effort to personally upset anyone on this forum or disgrace the United States of America!

greenbeetle

Marksman
Reaction score
You're right. We got a letter from Visa regarding charging a 2% fee for gun sales online. They threatened us with a $15,000 fine and possibly terminating our account. I thought it was ridiculous. That's why you see places like Buds Gun Shop advertise "Cash Discount", I didn't realize it's such a big NO NO to advertise charging a fee to use a credit card.

Paypal has the same policy.

Werewolf

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We're hoping to open our retail location soon (remodeling currently) and have been debating the ins and outs of accepting cash. As a consumer would it affect your decision to shop somewhere knowing they didn't accept cash?

Thanks!

What?

Why in the world would you not take cash. Cheques I can almost understand but cash!

I wouldn't shop there if you didn't take cash.

Hell - is not taking cash even legal?

SoonerStatePawn

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Clever! Actually there are many reasons not too.

Making change takes time.
Employee theft.
Decrease likelihood of robbery.
No counterfeits.
No deposit trips to bank.
No errors in making change or miscounting bills by employees or bank.

Sounds like it's not a popular idea among customers, though!

Making change takes time.
It doesn't take that much time up to make change, and most software will give you an exact change to be dispensed to do away with human error.

Employee theft.
We balance our drawers every night, and if there is someone thieving from their cash drawer it's going to be noticeable pretty quickly. It's going to be up to ownership and managers to keep an eye on their employees. It's part of doing business, and not accepting cash for fear of your employees stealing from you isn't a good idea.

Decrease likelihood of robbery.
I can see your point here, somewhat. We open carry or conceal carry inside our business. We keep minimal cash in our drawers at all times, and always make eye contact, greet people as they come in to let them know we're paying attention. IMO, keep your eye on customers, let them know you see them, and make it known that you carry firearms in your business and your business won't be too attractive for potential robbers.

No counterfeits.
We have had two counterfeit twenties in the 7 years we've been open, and I think they both came from the bank. Really nothing to worry about, and the counterfeit pens are cheap and work fine.

No deposit trips to bank.
Deposit trips to the bank are always a good time for your employee to grab lunch for ya on the way back, just saying!!! :)...

No errors in making change or miscounting bills by employees or bank.
Most software will give you the exact change to give out. Unless you have a bonehead employee this shouldn't be a problem. I had an employee, keyword HAD a problem keying in the wrong dollar amount on credit cards. There is always that person that will screw things up.

OKfella

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have never really talked about it here on these forums, but I have been in credit card issuance and acceptance since 1995.

If you guys are paying 2.5 to 4% for your V/MC base rate, you are simply being overcharged. I don't want to derail the thread, but please PM me if I can help any of you with your rates. If I can do anything for you, I will, and it ought not cost you a cent.

ON TOPIC: Take cash, fella. Your job is getting people to pick you to do business with, not make it harder for them to do so.

Werewolf

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Response in BLUE

Clever! Actually there are many reasons not too.

Making change takes time. - Doesn't take any more time than swiping and signing if you have literate employees

Employee theft. - Then you're hiring the wrong type of employee

Decrease likelihood of robbery. - Maybe but doubtful - your typical walk in robber might just get really ticked if he's gone to all the trouble of picking you out to rob, walks in, pulls his gun and then finds out you've got no cash.

No counterfeits. - yep - just stolen credit and debit cards and bad cheques to deal with.

No deposit trips to bank. - Well - you got one right anyway.

No errors in making change or miscounting bills by employees or bank. - Hire literate employees.

greenbeetle

Marksman
Reaction score
Response in BLUEClever! Actually there are many reasons not too.

Making change takes time. - Doesn't take any more time than swiping and signing if you have literate employees

Employee theft. - Then you're hiring the wrong type of employee

Decrease likelihood of robbery. - Maybe but doubtful - your typical walk in robber might just get really ticked if he's gone to all the trouble of picking you out to rob, walks in, pulls his gun and then finds out you've got no cash.

No counterfeits. - yep - just stolen credit and debit cards and bad cheques to deal with.

No deposit trips to bank. - Well - you got one right anyway.

No errors in making change or miscounting bills by employees or bank. - Hire literate employees.

Generating receipt and swiping card takes less time than generating receipt handling cash drawer and applying change, esp when it rolls over counter and into crevice or customer counts it twice, etc.

You often don't know what type of employee you've hired for some time, no?

"No cash" would be posted outside of business.

Hopefully when you take a cc you look at their ID.

We would never take checks, regardless.

These are not just my reasons for considering no cash these are recommended reasons by other businesses who do not accept cash. I think some are legit. Reception from potential customers here demonstrates it's probably not wise, however. Thank you for your replies everyone! Keep smiling! Green Beetle loves you!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom