How do you go about discouraging someone from getting a gun/permit?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The way I read tR's first post was that he did not believe she should have a gun. I didn't see anything in there that said she shouldn't have the right to own one. And I don't think he meant to imply that at all. All too often, many of us here look to see how we can attack the person posting here. Let's not get wrapped around the axle over this...we have a long time, solid member here posting what I think is a legitimate question about a serious issue. I say let's give him our opinions and not levy judgment on him over how he worded it.

Pokinfun

The Most Interesting Man in the World
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think I'll add this. My grandfather could do anything. Quiet as a mouse. Tall with not an ounce of fat. Raised a family digging coal out of a mine since he was 9. Yes 9. They could squeeze in cracks to set charges.
Anyway, he could shoot like no one I've ever seen. Squirrels and rabbits were his favorite, but anything to put on the table was game. When he was 90, he could out shoot anyone. He wore thick glasses then, and never shot anything but iron sights. Loved to see him shoot my 22. A couple of shots and he had it. I remember him saying "If I can see it, I can hit it". "If I can't see it, you tell me where I missed and I'll hit it".
And he could.
Before he passed at 100, I took him out to a strip pit to fish one day, and we just spent the day shooting pop bottles we threw in the pit. He still didn't miss.....much.
I just thought about it. Gave me a smile.
On Friday, my students were taking their AP US History Test. I took them snacks and orange drinks before the test. I always wear a suit on important days for the students. I think it is important for them to know I understand how important their success is to them. When I wear a tie, I always wear my grandfather's tie pin. He wore it when he got married, graduated from OSU, and when he went in for his first job interview.

Pokinfun

Special Hen
Reaction score
The way I read tR's first post was that he did not believe she should have a gun. I didn't see anything in there that said she shouldn't have the right to own one. And I don't think he meant to imply that at all. All too often, many of us here look to see how we can attack the person posting here. Let's not get wrapped around the axle over this...we have a long time, solid member here posting what I think is a legitimate question about a serious issue. I say let's give him our opinions and not levy judgment on him over how he worded it.
He has me on ignore anyway.

MCVetSteve

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My best advice is something others have already voiced, tell her politely that “while you have every right to pursue that to whatever end you see fit, I am not comfortable assisting you with it in any way.” She will almost certainly inquire about the reason and you can then explain, or not, to your heart’s content.

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have hesitated to weigh in on this... :/

Back in the late '90s my Dad developed Alzheimer's, and it went south pretty quick. He stayed with my sister for a while, then wanted to stay with us. So we brought him up here. He was 82 or 83.

We were sitting at the kitchen table, looking outside through the patio doors, when he asked for a gun. He then said, "There are at least 5 or 6 government men outside that I know of, right now."

He grew up helping his Dad make 'shine and beer during prohibition. Needless to say, I didn't give him a gun.

My point (if there is one?) is that common sense should prevail in all aspects of life.

I don't have all the answers (I don't even have all the questions). Carry on. :drunk2:

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Funny stuff here. Even though I have several idiots on this place on /i, I am pretty sure I can figure out the s4|t they are saying from the responses I can see.

Get it straight, morons, I never said anywhere it should be illegal for her to have a gun. It's not my place, to take it away, NOR is it my place to train her - I'm not going to do it. I don't believe she should have one, because, as I said at the outset, this woman has neither capability NOR the mindset to use a firearm properly in self-defense, and she also doesn't have the mindset to obtain the training to physically or mentally learn how to do so. I say this because I KNOW the woman - you don't. I KNOW what she WILL do, and what she WON'T do. Her problem isn't just frailty, it's also her refusal to help herself. Ever.

So crawl back under the bridge. You can make me out to be the bad guy all you want, or you can just f*** off.

:D

<edit> And as for feeling bad about her situation, I long ago washed my hands of feeling responsible for the consequences of others' actions. We have done lots to try to help her, and we still include her in family gatherings, we go out of our way to pick her up, make special trips to come get her for various things, and in general take her out and get her some fresh air - since she refuses to do so herself - and she is PLENTY capable of it.

We used to pick up some milk or eggs for her here and there, but I've finally drawn the line at the long-ass shopping list she wants to give us, and wants to know when we're going to Sam's or Costco so I can load up a pallet of **** to bring to her. lol. Yeah, it's like that.

Pokinfun

Special Hen
Reaction score
Funny stuff here. Even though I have several idiots on this place on /i, I am pretty sure I can figure out the s4|t they are saying from the responses I can see.

Get it straight, morons, I never said anywhere it should be illegal for her to have a gun. It's not my place, to take it away, NOR is it my place to train her - I'm not going to do it. I don't believe she should have one, because, as I said at the outset, this woman has neither capability NOR the mindset to use a firearm properly in self-defense, and she also doesn't have the mindset to obtain the training to physically or mentally learn how to do so. I say this because I KNOW the woman - you don't. I KNOW what she WILL do, and what she WON'T do. Her problem isn't just frailty, it's also her refusal to help herself. Ever.

So crawl back under the bridge. You can make me out to be the bad guy all you want, or you can just f*** off.

:D

<edit> And as for feeling bad about her situation, I long ago washed my hands of feeling responsible for the consequences of others' actions. We have done lots to try to help her, and we still include her in family gatherings, we go out of our way to pick her up, make special trips to come get her for various things, and in general take her out and get her some fresh air - since she refuses to do so herself - and she is PLENTY capable of it.

We used to pick up some milk or eggs for her here and there, but I've finally drawn the line at the long-ass shopping list she wants to give us, and wants to know when we're going to Sam's or Costco so I can load up a pallet of **** to bring to her. lol. Yeah, it's like that.
Is calling someone a moron, that you disagree with, within the rule set? I seem to remember getting a ban for changing a "p" to a "b" in a username.

DavidMcmillan

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This thread reminded me of an old family chestnut that I hadn't thought about for years. My great grandparents lived outside Ryan, OK on a small ranch/farm. Gramps was gone one night when Granny thought she saw someone looking in her bedroom window. She grabbed the sixshooter(no one remembers what it was or where it went), fired through the window...yep, killed their best bull.

Pokinfun

Special Hen
Reaction score
It's cool that you care buddy. Lots of people face this every year. My wife's mom had the onset of dementia and alzheimer's. She was a damn independent lady. After she had two wrecks and we had to come get her because she had got lost, we took her car from her. We eventually had to have her DL privileges removed. It was her right to drive but it was not in the best interest to her or anyone else.
Good topic for discussion.
Driving a car is not a Right.

Latest posts

Top Bottom