How do you go about discouraging someone from getting a gun/permit?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Take her shooting with the biggest hand cannon you can get tell her that is the gentlest shooting gun available and when she is on her but she will forget about buying one.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm outta of this conversation. Carry on. :coffee2:

Good call buddy. But I think I have to stay and watch this...this is one that has the potential to make me do my mod thing. For the record, for everyone, let's keep the conversation focused on the gist of the op's question, which I do believe is a legitimate and appropriate question, and not on who's a maroon and who isn't and so on.

Last edited:

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
Is calling someone a moron, that you disagree with, within the rule set? I seem to remember getting a ban for changing a "p" to a "b" in a username.

Why, the OP is tired of his elderly neighbor he has decided she should locked away in an old folks home.

Can you say "f***'em" on the forum?

I guess some folks are allowed to call members a dick and others get banned for changing a letter in a members name.

image-20161005-15882-13x0gd1.jpg

Give it up. He doesn't care what you say, and you obviously have a bone to pick that is irrelevant to this thread.

1. If you insist on dragging up past disciplines, we will be obliged to drag up the ol' ban hammer to give you more time to get over yourself.

2. I don't see anywhere his posts address any member in particular.

I was reminded that the Waaaambulance - no matter how appropriate - is against the rules. I have removed it.

Last edited:

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My Ma sorta falls into this category. A few years back a bunch of her women friends at church decided that they needed to carry, so as birds of a feather do, she decided that she needed to carry. I thought it was a bad idea at best, but who was I to limit her rights.

So she took the class, got the permit, bought herself a S&W 649, went to the range a couple of times and put her pistol on a shelf in the closet. And there it has sat for almost 2 years. She never carried it anywhere, hasn't practiced with it in almost 2 years.

The "new" wore off and the issue pretty much fixed itself. I suspect your neighbor's problem would turn out the same way..

I've been in that situation before. Had lots of men and women of all ages ask about what to buy for SD.
Had both women and men complain about racking the slide and how hard it is. Once they discover the push method vs the pull method, it's not that hard.
I just tell them to buy a gun that fits their hand size and load it up. By the time any situation develops and is resolved, they won't even remember they have a spare mag, and even if they did, the situation would be over before they finished their first.....one way or the other.
You can't force people to train and shoot on a regular basis, and in most cases, they don't have anywhere to shoot, and have no idea who can train them without some outside influence of a regular shooter.
So, all that being said, if you can help someone out, do it, but don't expect them to have the same fervor about SD and shooting that most on this forum have. They just don't have that fire in their bellies.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Why, the OP is tired of his elderly neighbor he has decided she should locked away in an old folks home.
Assisted living is a blessing for some of the elderly. My wife and I are in the middle of this situation with FIL in memory care and MIL in assisted living. Same facility, so she can go visit as much as she wants. Memory care is controlled access for obvious reasons.
Some Senior's reach a point where they need assisted living and it's not a bad life for them. They get organized activities and can come and go as they please. Some even have their own vehicles.
Those facilities are designed to relieve them of the pressures of living alone. Ie. fixing the remote, cooking, cleaning, yard work, and relying on benevolent neighbors to do that for them.
Just thought I'd add this.

D. Hargrove

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
My mom lived with us for almost 4 years, she has Dementia and ALZ as well as a few other issues. We did the best we could, but she needed socialization and companionship besides what we could provide. We had visiting caregivers daily, hygiene care and the such, she is in a memory care unit since last week and is very happy. It broke my heart to put her there, but at this point of the disease we felt it was the best.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Assisted living is a blessing for some of the elderly. My wife and I are in the middle of this situation with FIL in memory care and MIL in assisted living. Same facility, so she can go visit as much as she wants. Memory care is controlled access for obvious reasons.
Some Senior's reach a point where they need assisted living and it's not a bad life for them. They get organized activities and can come and go as they please. Some even have their own vehicles.
Those facilities are designed to relieve them of the pressures of living alone. Ie. fixing the remote, cooking, cleaning, yard work, and relying on benevolent neighbors to do that for them.
Just thought I'd add this.

My mom lived with us for almost 4 years, she has Dementia and ALZ as well as a few other issues. We did the best we could, but she needed socialization and companionship besides what we could provide. We had visiting caregivers daily, hygiene care and the such, she is in a memory care unit since last week and is very happy. It broke my heart to put her there, but at this point of the disease we felt it was the best.

Been in that situation with my mother in law. She battled through Parkinson's for over a decade.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I hear ya bro. It pains us beyond belief to put them in what some consider a cheap way out(which is not cheap) that have no clue what memory care and skilled nursing facilities can provide for the elderly. They have advanced training to cope with their issues.
Granted, we hear of some that have horror stories which are very tiny compared to the number of folks that live in these facilities, but we stay on top of things, and travel 200 miles a week to make regular visitations willingly.
It's hell getting old.

Latest posts

Top Bottom