I am afraid that the value of formerly collectible handguns is going down. Hear me out.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ParrotPirate

Marksman
Supporting Member
Supporter
Reaction score
I’ve been collecting handguns for 20 years or so, but recently I have put the brakes on it. Why? Because I am worried about a market crash on 20th century handguns. In the past I would look at something like a Walther P88, SW 5906 or Steyr GB and it was still competitive with a modern Glock, but the lack of optics cuts means I can shoot practically any modern gun better than I can those three. I’ve recently had some pretty interesting offers on things I once considered “grail guns” but I didn’t pull the trigger. I just couldn’t rationalize paying $1000 for another 9mm even if it books for $2000+ when a superior modern gun can be had for $500. I’m not concerned about the 10mm or other odd calibers, but I am kind of worried that things like a Walther P5 or HK P9 will tank in the future. Anyways, thanks for hearing me out.

ParrotPirate

Marksman
Supporting Member
Supporter
Reaction score
Its like collecting anything it will have its ups and then it will hit the bottom and you have to rely on a certain audience and they will be few and far between.
That’s a good point. The German guns are already kind of there. I had a VP70Z listed on here and on armslist for a while and got nothing. I eventually met a guy through a friend and we made a deal that afternoon. I was careful not to overpay on my collection, but there are a few outliers that I would hate to see tank in value.

HMCS(FMF)Ret.

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’m at the age now that I don’t expect my guns to go up in value significantly during my lifetime. So they’ll all go to my grandson (25). Also when I buy a gun now, I buy with the intention of not selling it. I have some high-end guns, but that’s because life is short, might as well live a little.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Personally, I don't think guns are a great investment, if you are really only looking at the dollars and cents. Don't get me wrong, that's still the go to argument with the wife, but if I was truly only focused on a return, there are better places imo.

This. With a few exceptions, firearms as a whole aren’t where the investment dollars can work best.

Now, in a societal collapse, firearms will be worth their weight in gold - or whatever you feel is more useful to barter for. Firewood, chickens, water filtration equipment, etc…

rickm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Personally, I don't think guns are a great investment, if you are really only looking at the dollars and cents. Don't get me wrong, that's still the go to argument with the wife, but if I was truly only focused on a return, there are better places imo.
The way i look at it and have done over the years is what investment can you get into and go out and enjoy them and then years later sell for a small profit but then most of mine were purchased as used and cheap, I would rather try to sell a few cheaper priced guns than one high end gun that may take months or years to find the right buyer i got mine to move fast and reasonably priced if i needed fast cash.

ParrotPirate

Marksman
Supporting Member
Supporter
Reaction score
I’m not really concerned about reselling guns, but I don’t want to overpay and never be able to get my money back if I need it. That’s a strategy I employ with all my collecting. I have a rubric I follow when it comes to collecting anything and “practicality” is a major multiplier. I think that any historic collectible you can hypothetically still use will have more value than one that you can’t. I witnessed this firsthand with my Zippo lighter collection. When everyone smoked it was always developing but when people quit smoking they just became little baubles and prices froze or dropped. Despite that, Zippo still sells $200 lighters to Japanese and Chinese all day cause they still smoke.

TANSTAAFL

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There are always exceptions to what people like and dislike. When something is produced in great numbers and still currently produced or improved versions are available, prices tend to go down over time. There are outlying factors though, bans where they are no longer sold new and grandfathered for purchases. The 1994 AWB is a good example, or NFA Class III items. A Colt M-16 will sell for multiples over what a new M-4 would sell for. Spikes in demand also can create a brief yet profitable market as well, like Covid did.

In general if you are investing in firearms, be very selective. Wish I'd bought an H&K P7-M13 or P7-M8 when they were being sold, it would be worth a small fortune today.

ParrotPirate

Marksman
Supporting Member
Supporter
Reaction score
There are always exceptions to what people like and dislike. When something is produced in great numbers and still currently produced or improved versions are available, prices tend to go down over time. There are outlying factors though, bans where they are no longer sold new and grandfathered for purchases. The 1994 AWB is a good example, or NFA Class III items. A Colt M-16 will sell for multiples over what a new M-4 would sell for. Spikes in demand also can create a brief yet profitable market as well, like Covid did.

In general if you are investing in firearms, be very selective. Wish I'd bought an H&K P7-M13 or P7-M8 when they were being sold, it would be worth a small fortune today.
P7s and Coonans are a good example of things where the market could change if people started making them again. I have a few P7s and they are complex, but mainly in the frame. I think we are still a ways away from being able to 3d print one but at some point I think people will be able to do the frame in polymer and sell metal parts kits to make one. The Coonan and other automags are not so easy because modern polymer can’t hold up, but time will tell.

Latest posts

Top Bottom