I have tonsillitis...again. (gross story but no photos)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KroyWen

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sorry……get on antibiotics, even before C&S results …. Gargle with salt water, heavy salt, causes an osmotic gradient and reduces the swelling/edema , as well as kills bacteria. Can add Hydrogen Peroxide to the salt water gargle.
Take Vitamin C ever 6-8 hours. Oregano capsules also fight off infection.
I understand adult tonsillectomy post op really hurts.
Beta1-3 glucans ( supplement) stimulates your immune system. Avoid sugar, which inhibits your immune system. . GET WELL, my friend.

CutBaitNBlowSh*tUp4ALivin

I like rimfire and rimfire accessories. Yup. Mmhmm
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Alright well I'm home. CT scan said there is no abscess, so nothing to drain. I was so dehydrated that I ended up going thru two bags of saline, and a ton of other drippy stuff. They said I should notice an immediate improvement by tomorrow, and changed up all my prescriptions. So that's all I know for now.
PS. Stop kissing your dog on the lips 😂
This was kinda sad. She has breast cancer and we were discussing this weekend about when to put her down. Bad stuff has a way of multiplying around here. 😔

Beau

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I got mine out about 4yrs ago. It does suck. The first few days aren't that bad but the meds started to work less and less for numbing the pain. After about a week I was miserable, then it started getting better. Was stuck at home for about a week or more. Only able to eat soups and shakes. Yes it was excruciating from days 4-8ish but was worth it in the long run. I haven't had any problems since. Also they trimmed up my uvula because it was kinda big and on a few occasions I fell asleep and snored so much it swole up and felt like I was going to choke on it. I do not regret it.

Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I feel better waking up today than I have since Saturday morning, but Saturday morning I did feel bad enough to go to urgent care in the first place.
I tried the hydrocodone cough syrup prescription instead of the 800mg ibuprofen and it killed the pain enough for me to eat enough to be full for the first time since Friday night. I'd say the swelling is down for sure. They also gave me an anti-inflammatory that I've never heard of, dexamethasone. Maybe that's working very well. And a liquid antibiotic is definitely easier to take than a horse pill antibiotic.
Plus some really thick liquid lidocaine to drop straight onto the tonsil. Man that stuff tastes gnarly, like dandruff shampoo poured onto the lick part of an envelope.
I have been gargling with salt water but apparently nowhere near enough. The hospital says to do it HOURLY. I never did try the vodka gargle, sorry @THAT Gurl, haha I was deathly afraid of vomiting

Last edited:

Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
About the only advice I can give that isn't prescription is a cool mist humidifier (ultrasonic). It can help with the swelling, somewhat, but you really need to deal with whatever infection is causing all this. Did they prescribe anything? Also, yeah having tonsils out as an adult is an ordeal, but it sounds like you need it. When this is over, go see an ENT (ear nose and throat doc).
I have my wife at Wally world right now looking at humidifiers. We have one that's an Amazon special that's mostly for essential oils. It only puts about 4oz of water in the air overnight and that's nowhere near enough.
I’d go to the er and have them removed. It’s far better than getting nasty infections over and over. Had two coworkers that had them removed as adults and an in-law. They all wished they would have done it sooner. Yes, they all said it sucked. It felt like bad strep throat as a kid.
I was told that it is still an option, theyve modernized the removal so they use a laser now, it's just still recommended against unless you have 4+ bouts of tonsillitis a year, or 6+ bouts of strep.
Sorry……get on antibiotics, even before C&S results …. Gargle with salt water, heavy salt, causes an osmotic gradient and reduces the swelling/edema , as well as kills bacteria. Can add Hydrogen Peroxide to the salt water gargle.
Take Vitamin C ever 6-8 hours. Oregano capsules also fight off infection.
I understand adult tonsillectomy post op really hurts.
Beta1-3 glucans ( supplement) stimulates your immune system. Avoid sugar, which inhibits your immune system. . GET WELL, my friend.
I have asked around and I can't find anyone that's ever even heard of oregano capsules. I definitely want to hear more about that. I do know several people that take 1k mg of vitamin C DAILY. I've often considered taking that route.

KroyWen

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Dexamethasone is a fast acting, short duration steroid ( helps w pain and inflammation)
Can order oregano capsules Swansons vitamins/ supplements, Internet, good prices.
I take Vit C 2-3 grams, three times a day, but you have to gradually work up to that, or it’ll give you the runs.
Glad you’re on the mend.

Jason Freeland

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I feel better waking up today than I have since Saturday morning, but Saturday morning I did feel bad enough to go to urgent care in the first place.
I tried the hydrocodone cough syrup prescription instead of the 800mg ibuprofen and it killed the pain enough for me to eat enough to be full for the first time since Friday night. I'd say the swelling is down for sure. They also gave me an anti-inflammatory that I've never heard of, dexamethasone. Maybe that's working very well. And a liquid antibiotic is definitely easier to take than a horse pill antibiotic.
Plus some really thick liquid lidocaine to drop straight onto the tonsil. Man that stuff tastes gnarly, like dandruff shampoo poured onto the lick part of an envelope.
I have been gargling with salt water but apparently nowhere near enough. The hospital says to do it HOURLY. I never did try the vodka gargle, sorry @THAT Gurl, haha I was deathly afraid of vomiting
You can use a soft model pain brush to put on the lidocaine, I'm assuming 4% viscous? Just open wide in front of the mirror and paint it on the swollen parts. Yeah lidocaine tastes bad, but you don't tend to taste it for very long.

Edit: Long Q tips work well also, it's what we use.

Latest posts

Top Bottom