I think someone shot my dog.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
He. Tipp Cityboy is his racing name.

So he is a retired racer?

Whey my two pups are not around anymore (they are like, 9 and 10ish now), I was thinking about adopting one. But I heard they can be kinda tricky since they aren't use to normal dog stuff; just being crated and raced. I think I could handle one though, as greyhounds are pretty docile and calm dogs - until they lock their sights on something they presume is prey (even if it's just a leaf twitching in the wind).

UnSafe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Don't take it wrong that I suggest letting the dog continue to lick the wounds out until they heal as opposed to taking it to the vet, but my dogs get wounds that size and larger from barbed wire, other dogs and coyotes on occasion. They heal well as long as they're open. Some of the punctures have formed abscess that needed draining and antibiotics. Part of a field dog's life and death.

Hope your pup does well. Think through the short list of possible shooters. Excluding the chance of a truly random/ walk by shooting (Unlikely), someone wanted to harm or kill your dog. If not a barker and it was behind a fence, what could be the motivation? Angry neighbor, sadistic kid, somone wanting to improve their odds of robbing/ invading your home? All possible, but the last one merits the most concern.

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So he is a retired racer?

Whey my two pups are not around anymore (they are like, 9 and 10ish now), I was thinking about adopting one. But I heard they can be kinda tricky since they aren't use to normal dog stuff; just being crated and raced. I think I could handle one though, as greyhounds are pretty docile and calm dogs - until they lock their sights on something they presume is prey (even if it's just a leaf twitching in the wind).

They are easy to take care of. They lay around most of the time. The hardest part about a retired racing dog is teaching them everything. They have seen very little in their life. He had to discover toys and learn how to play. He started catching popcorn tossed to him night before last. It used to just hit him in the face. They are very intelligent and well mannered. Very loving too.

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If they're anything like my Iggy (Italian Greyhound, she looks like a 10 pound version of yours), they just want to lay around and sleep about 20 hours a day, preferably under a blanket and in your lap or armpit :)

She's an odd animal in that she's the laziest dog I have even seen about 99% of the time, but that 1% she's active has her running and chasing more than any dog I've ever seen.

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You're going to notice a pretty big difference in a regular compared to your Iggy. They have lived such a structured life it really makes them completely different personality wise. I love greyhounds. They are my favorite breed by far. It was a culture shock getting our first one. They don't know how to love you and it's kinda weird having had very affectionate dogs my whole life. But give them a few months and they learn and are fantastic pets. I love both of our dogs to death and they seem to feel the same way about us.

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Get you one, Cards. They rule.

http://www.greyhoundpetsok.org/OurHounds.aspx

You can look up the dog's racing history here. Or click the links with the dogs from Hounds of the Heartland.
http://greyhound-data.com/breed.htm?z=Rtyq5q

The girls tend to be a little smaller. Mei Lie is 55# and TCB is 80#.

i306.photobucket.com_albums_nn269_dustingaunder_Pets_Dog_9a9bbf6d.jpg

i306.photobucket.com_albums_nn269_dustingaunder_Pets_Dog_545e4def.jpg

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Here's what my Ladybug looks like most of the time:

i.imgur.com_X0KRM.png

:D

Actually here is what she does best, which is sit around on someone's lap. She hardly has a mean bone in her body, and only gets barking if my son starts wresting a bit too rough with her. She was a rescue from a young girl (like, 8 or 9 years old) who got a dog and never got any help from her parents, and was fed buy pretty much neglected and never played with or cared for. She was supposedly spayed, but she went into heat right after we got her and she had litter with my other dog. She then got Parvo afterwards (when the pups were still at home) and was inpatient at vet for 5 days. She's tougher than dogs 10 times her size.

i.imgur.com_XoOz1.png

This is my 9 year old, toothless, angry old bastard terrier/pinscher/dachshund mutt, Scooter:

i.imgur.com_TuhQy.png

He's gotten where hates everyone but me, and he only mildly tolerates me (I've had him for 8 years now). But since he's so old and has bad arthritis, I'm basically hospice care for him since he's mean about 90% of the time but just won't die.

I wish all the best for your pup DG. I bet he pulls through fine. I will definitely consider a full size grey once I have room for one.

Last edited:

ronny

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm going to recant my earlier belief it wasn't a pellet wound. If the vet thinks it was, that's probably what it was. I's still surprised the pellet isn't still in there, especially the one in the hip. The shooter needs one to the hip, as well.

Latest posts

Top Bottom