I think someone shot my dog.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benjamin-benjamin

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
^^^Worst advice in the thread.

As a veterinarian, I frequently see and treat animals who's owners have followed this advice. Just last night I had to euthanize one where it was too late to do anything else. A week earlier, some antibiotics and maybe an x-ray to make sure nothing else was damaged and it would have been fine.

Get your dog to a veterinarian where the wound can be evaluated and treated. If you had other dogs in the yard, my first thought would be a puncture wound from a canine tooth. I know....your dogs get along perfectly and would never fight. I hear that a lot, usually when treating a dog that another family dog attacked. You said that they are usually inside, so the fact that you were gone and they were outside adds stress, and when dogs are stress they can get snappy, just like people.

If the wounds do end up being a gunshot, then definitely file a police report.

actually that is bad advice even for humans!! i know numerous people that didn't go to the doctor and ended up a lot worse off because they didn't go in the beginning!!

cowboydoc

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just got back from the vet. Said it was consistent with two separate pellet gun wounds. Got him some antibiotics and we called the police.

Glad he is going to be OK. While most pellet guns will only sting or cause a superficial wound, some of the higher velocity ones can have enough penetration to do some serious damage.

ronny

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just got back from the vet. Said it was consistent with two separate pellet gun wounds. Got him some antibiotics and we called the police.

I defer to your vet, however, I have shot a number of small animals (no dogs) with pellets and the wounds were not that pronounced. On the other hand, whatever it was, I'd think the round was still in there. Puzzling.

Latest posts

Top Bottom