I Went Thru A Horrible Experience Today...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aries

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I do my laundry most of the time, she does hers most of the time.

I'm usually the cook. I'm also usually the one that sacrificed the animal we're eating. She can cook well, and I expect she'll do more of it when her schedule changes in a few weeks.

We've always had "off" shifts, which means we both changed diapers, went to school meetings, cleaned house, did laundry, fed kids, etc...it's as "equal" a relationship as you'll ever find, I reckon.

I vowed long ago not to be as helpless as my dad is. I love him tremendously, but he'd wither away if it wasn't for Mom.
My mother always said that my dad was the only person she knew who could starve to death sitting next to a pound of raw bacon. :rollingla

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Banned Supporter
Reaction score
Still comes down to what every person should be able to do-
A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.

-Robert A. Heinlein

I can dress myself in the morning.

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Banned Supporter
Reaction score
I do my laundry most of the time, she does hers most of the time.

I'm usually the cook. I'm also usually the one that sacrificed the animal we're eating. She can cook well, and I expect she'll do more of it when her schedule changes in a few weeks.

We've always had "off" shifts, which means we both changed diapers, went to school meetings, cleaned house, did laundry, fed kids, etc...it's as "equal" a relationship as you'll ever find, I reckon.

I vowed long ago not to be as helpless as my dad is. I love him tremendously, but he'd wither away if it wasn't for Mom.

On a serious note...

I married my current wife in Nov. We dated for about a year before that. She has 4 kids, the youngest being 37 and I love them all like my own. But I noticed early on when we went to her place for get-togethers she waited on them non stop. Always cleaned up after a big dinner and no one offered to help. Or if they did it was, "You need help, mom?", knowing she obviously did. But they knew she'd say no.

After we were married we had a big Christmas get together. She was telling me all the stuff she needed to make. Nope... I told her those kids are grown men and women married to grown men and women. If they want to eat they're gonna help carry the load. They were a little put out when she told them they were gonna have to cook and bring stuff.

After the big meal I let everyone know that mom was still mom but there was a new sheriff in town and mom was now retired mom. I let everyone know it was time they started helping her out as I was tired of seeing my wife work her ass off for a bunch of grown ups that were perfectly capable of helping out.

I think everyone was a little shocked but they all pitched in. Now when we get together it can't be at her house since she's moved away. So when we go to family get togethers I strongly encourage her to let the kids do everything other than just a little help here and there. She's told me it sure is a lot more enjoyable having someone do for her on occasion at family get-togethers. Even the kids have told me how much they respect the fact that mom has someone looking out for her. We all get along really well.

Now they call me Sheriff Dad. :)

Chuckie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There was a time when we were living in Oregon that the wife had to come back to Oklahoma to help our youngest son who had surgery and needed help to do the things that he wasn't supposed to until he healed. Since I stayed in Oregon to continue our "work," she left me instructions on how to use the washing machine. Those instructions are in a folder entitles "When the SHTF" on my computer.

Sadly, I need to have her update those instructions because we got a different washing machine.

While on the road with our Summer jobs, she sees guys doing laundry in the hotels. She say that tend to throw everything in at the same time in one load and then use gobs of laundry detergent.

If she wasn't around, I'd probably be doing the same thing.
So you're saying that you had a front-load washer, then traded that in for a top-loader, but because the instructions she left hadn't been updated, you had to flip the top-loader forward to make it a front-loader before you did the laundry? 🤔

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have done my laundry, for years.
Wif is extremely allergic to poison ivy. Touching my hunting / fishing clothes, can / has put her in the hospital.
Working in chemical plant, pretty much the same.
Plus, I didn't want that smelly stuff used on my clothes.
Since her cancer, I do a lot more cooking.
Vacuum and mopping, too.
Since recovery, we do most things together. Spending together time is even more important now.

montesa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There was a time when we were living in Oregon that the wife had to come back to Oklahoma to help our youngest son who had surgery and needed help to do the things that he wasn't supposed to until he healed. Since I stayed in Oregon to continue our "work," she left me instructions on how to use the washing machine. Those instructions are in a folder entitles "When the SHTF" on my computer.

Sadly, I need to have her update those instructions because we got a different washing machine.

While on the road with our Summer jobs, she sees guys doing laundry in the hotels. She say that tend to throw everything in at the same time in one load and then use gobs of laundry detergent.

If she wasn't around, I'd probably be doing the same thing.
I throw everything in at once and use lots of detergent. It works great!

rickm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I throw everything in at once and use lots of detergent. It works great!
I done that once throwed the whole box of detergent in the washer took the laundry mat at the apartment complex i was living at at the time 3 days to get all the suds out so they could open it again, never did get my clothes back.

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Since my wife's stroke, I do most of the household chores. Teresa wants to help, but she is limited in what she can do.

I am a decent cook, especially Mexican, and I also do Oriental, Italian, and other foods pretty well. I am also a good improviser when she needs to eat RIGHT NOW. We are both diabetics.

Even though her strokes were hard to deal with on an emotional level, and her back left her physically unable to do a lot, she is still the best thing that ever happened to me.

Fredkrueger100

Dream Master
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well I wash our cloths and my wife folds them. I vacuum every day, I dust, clean the bathrooms, and clean the cars, mow and weed eat the yard, and other things. And sometimes I cook. My wife has it made. Lol

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So you're saying that you had a front-load washer, then traded that in for a top-loader, but because the instructions she left hadn't been updated, you had to flip the top-loader forward to make it a front-loader before you did the laundry? 🤔

Well, not quite...

...the new machine is different and has buttons. The old one had knobs to twist to certain settings.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom