I'm getting burned out

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big House

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
HA! Try being a cop for 34 YEARS! You wanna talk about burnout, phuck me! :faint:

I'd retire yesterday if'n I could, but I gotta stick it out for 7 more years. Hell, I don't see me alive in 7 more years.

Like the great Mickey Mantle once said..."if I had known I would've lived this long, I would've taken better care of myself."

But yeah, I feel ya bro. :comfort:
We think alike.

clintbailey

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've been in gas compression/midstream business for 19 years, and I'm the same way. My problem is, there is NOTHING close to me that pays anywhere near what I make, that I could do that is not oilfield related. After my personal issues last fall-winter, I can say this: don't let it get you down too far that it's hard to get back up! If your mind is getting too dark, find some help sooner vs later. I'm only 44, and it sucks way bad when you literally hate going to work every day, to realize you have TWENTY years left to do it! I'm now at a job that I don't hate going to, same industry but different company. Take care of yourself man, companies come and go but your family is what's important! Clint

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Been looking into getting my own construction business started again but I’d be starting from scratch with customer base again.
Dude, if all you ever did was return phone calls and show your happy little butt up on the job site when you said you would, you'd have people beating down your door with work. It's amazing how many builders these days can't do either of those things consistently...or at all, in some cases.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've pretty much capped out at $110K. If I stuck around anther 5 yrs, maybe another 5K extra. I transferred from Oklahoma to Florida, pre-retirement. If you're looking for something within the four-state area, I could point you in the right direction.
Find a financial advisor. Interview everyone you can find. Take notes and if you don't understand, ask them to simplify it for you. Put it in non-financial simple to understand English. Splain to me where you make your money, explain to me how my nest egg is going to grow. Will I retain the principal or are you interested in a spend down where you spend the retirement money prior to getting SS?
Ask them to put what is going to happen prior to getting SS and Medicare. Medical insurance before Medicare can cost well over $1000 a month depending on your obamacare score.
If you have a large retirement to pass down, get a trust. Zero taxes to your beneficiaries after passing.
My advisor put the retirement funds into two buckets. I retired early so the first bucket was to get me to Medicare. Wife is younger and needed to work a few more years so I rode her health insurance.
I hit Medicare but she had two more years before that age when she gave it up which cost us $1200 a month for obamacare where you can keep your doctor, keep you plan and save $2500 a year per family according to obummer.
Well, that turned out to be a major lie and we paid that money for two years before she got to medicare.
A good financial advisor can certainly help grow more money vs putting the money into a bank and drawing it down.
We have some friends that retired recently that did just that. They took a cash withdrawal from their 401K's to clear out the account, paid the penalty for early withdrawal and sit around bragging how they screwed the government because they qualify for free obamacare now as they have cash.
Cost them a couple hundred thousands of dollars IMHO.

1shott

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
HA! Try being a cop for 34 YEARS! You wanna talk about burnout, phuck me! :faint:

I'd retire yesterday if'n I could, but I gotta stick it out for 7 more years. Hell, I don't see me alive in 7 more years.

Like the great Mickey Mantle once said..."if I had known I would've lived this long, I would've taken better care of myself."

But yeah, I feel ya bro. :comfort:

Ha try being a mechanic in a factory for 23 years then retail for the last 17 years.

The mechanic gig broke my body down, the retail finished off my mental health, here I am at 57 still needing to work full time another 7-10 years. I am so burned out its not even funny.

Rookie sheesh....

LOL

1shott

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Dude, if all you ever did was return phone calls and show your happy little butt up on the job site when you said you would, you'd have people beating down your door with work. It's amazing how many builders these days can't do either of those things consistently...or at all, in some cases.

Gotta agree, I deal with contractors and people that think they are contractors.

If you are at least half way proficient at any kind of home repair, a person can do very well and if you are actually good at what you do, will do exceptionally well and stay hooked up.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ha try being a mechanic in a factory for 23 years then retail for the last 17 years.

The mechanic gig broke my body down, the retail finished off my mental health, here I am at 57 still needing to work full time another 7-10 years. I am so burned out its not even funny.

Rookie sheesh....

LOL

But, you're so good at what you do.

Latest posts

Top Bottom