I'm getting burned out

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Dude, if all you ever did was return phone calls and show your happy little butt up on the job site when you said you would, you'd have people beating down your door with work. It's amazing how many builders these days can't do either of those things consistently...or at all, in some cases.

Such truth!

TinkerTanker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
At your age the most important question is do you have the savings to do what you want to do? Do you want to just go home and sit on the couch until Jesus calls, or would you rather build toys in the garage for underprivileged kids? Are you a teacher? Do you like seeing a spark light up in someone's eyes when they're finally getting it?
You need to figure out what you have, and what you want. Then start edging that direction. I worked up until this year and I did what I loved. I still have kids from years ago stopping by to tell me about something new they figured out or some new bull poop or bull head they're dealing with. I didn't love every day or week, but I loved every month, I guarantee that. Even the travel and roughhousing that my old body can't hardly take anymore.

You need to get out of your feelings and into your head. What do you LOVE? Or do you just want to sit around with the wife and watch soap operas all day? Because I can tell you women don't wanna do that with you in the house. They can *FEEL* you relaxing and they won't stand for it. "When are you going to fix my cabinet door?" "That fridge is still making that noise again, you know". "Are you about ready to take me to fill-in-the-blank so I can spend money we don't have, for things we don't need, to impress neighbors we don't even know? ARE YOU??"

Pick a thing you love and angle that direction. You'll be glad you did when retirement comes. If you post up about it maybe we can help. 99% of us have been where you are, considered quitting our jobs or life in general, and came through it. (1% of us are certifiably crazy, but you could say that about any bunch of coots)

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Too young to cash out but feeling too old to stay in the game.
I work in an office for a natural gas company.

I was going insane in previous positions. Couldn’t stand coming to work, couldn’t stand the mind numbing work (accounting). It felt like the movie Groundhog Day. I basically resigned to the fact I was stuck and decided to keep my head down and drag myself out of bed each morning and through each day at the job.

Finally a job opened up that I love (financial data scientist). And now I don’t have that piss poor attitude that killed my motivation.

If you want to work, find something you like doing to pay the bills and keep funding a good retirement. And find the attitude that everyday is a blessing and take advantage to help yourself and others each day.

caliberbob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I work in an office for a natural gas company.

I was going insane in previous positions. Couldn’t stand coming to work, couldn’t stand the mind numbing work (accounting). It felt like the movie Groundhog Day. I basically resigned to the fact I was stuck and decided to keep my head down and drag myself out of bed each morning and through each day at the job.

Finally a job opened up that I love (financial data scientist). And now I don’t have that piss poor attitude that killed my motivation.

If you want to work, find something you like doing to pay the bills and keep funding a good retirement. And find the attitude that everyday is a blessing and take advantage to help yourself and others each day.
No wonder your posting about stocks and charts lol. Don’t take this the wrong way, but you have the nerdy side I wish I could have. I like numbers but office work makes me lose my mind.

Shoot Summ

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Find a financial advisor. Interview everyone you can find. Take notes and if you don't understand, ask them to simplify it for you. Put it in non-financial simple to understand English. Splain to me where you make your money, explain to me how my nest egg is going to grow. Will I retain the principal or are you interested in a spend down where you spend the retirement money prior to getting SS?
Ask them to put what is going to happen prior to getting SS and Medicare. Medical insurance before Medicare can cost well over $1000 a month depending on your obamacare score.
If you have a large retirement to pass down, get a trust. Zero taxes to your beneficiaries after passing.
My advisor put the retirement funds into two buckets. I retired early so the first bucket was to get me to Medicare. Wife is younger and needed to work a few more years so I rode her health insurance.
I hit Medicare but she had two more years before that age when she gave it up which cost us $1200 a month for obamacare where you can keep your doctor, keep you plan and save $2500 a year per family according to obummer.
Well, that turned out to be a major lie and we paid that money for two years before she got to medicare.
A good financial advisor can certainly help grow more money vs putting the money into a bank and drawing it down.
We have some friends that retired recently that did just that. They took a cash withdrawal from their 401K's to clear out the account, paid the penalty for early withdrawal and sit around bragging how they screwed the government because they qualify for free obamacare now as they have cash.
Cost them a couple hundred thousands of dollars IMHO.
Outstanding advice.

Figure out how to make the most of what you have, and of what you are earning.

Beyond that stop telling yourself you hate your job, instead focus on the fact that it is providing a paycheck. Sometimes you have to lower you expectations of your job and realize the paycheck is the same whether you allow yourself to be miserable and hate it, or show up everyday and let others carry all of that burden while you collect the paycheck.

Pstmstr

AKA Michael Cox. Back by popular demand.
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
I retired 3 days after I became eligible and probably should have stayed another 5 years. Lots of days I wish I had something more productive to do. A man can only play so much. I am thinking of finding a part time gig at least for the winter. I do some volunteer financial coaching at church but that's only 2-3 times a week. Might look for another volunteer opportunity. Try to think about what's good enough about your job to stick it out until you're ready to do something you enjoy. Take as much vacation time as you can, even some leave without pay if you need to. Burn out is real. Maybe a counselor might help as well.

Latest posts

Top Bottom