Is this stupid, or am I?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robert871

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Okay, so you are at the redgister and you pull out your debit card and slide it.
The machine processes, then the screen reads, "Do you know your PIN?"

Seriously? So it's smart enough to know it's a debit card that is great and all, but I feel lost in that question. Aside from the a-hole that steals debit cards, is there anyone who honestly doesn't know their pin? I mean...... You made the Damn pin....

Secondly, this question insinuated that the machine is actually going to let someone use the cars even if they don't know my pin.... So, someone steals my card and fails the question and can still use it. That's the impression I get.

I conject this is a stupid question and should be skipped and simply go straight to "enter pin"

okie362

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Depending on how the machine is set up it may actually let you process the transaction as credit if you answer no. In which case you will (SHOULD) be required to show ID and sign.

Larry Morgan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've seen machines where it would ask if you knew your pin. If you select no, it will run it as a credit card, and may or may not ask your zip code. I think the machines at Sonic are like this..

grizzly97

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I feel the same way you do. The only thing for me is, the debit cards issued from my bank only work some places as a credit card. So, I have to skip that part and run it as a credit or it won't work.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
I always answer no and process as credit. A few years ago, millions of debit card PIN numbers were stolen due to a loophole in a software program. The numbers were not "supposed to be" stored, but not only had they been stored, they were accessible to an outside source.

Since then, I've never once used my card as debit.

KOPBET

Duck of Death
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Not according to Visa...

This ^^

Showing ID cannot be made a condition of sale.

Many small dollar purchases don't even require a signature.

Debit cards do not NEED a PIN in order to process a transaction.

It's all about money as to whether they ask you for a PIN. Offline transactions (no PIN) usually result in higher interchange costs to the merchant, so if they can get you to enter a PIN they are probably trying to save money on the transaction. And I can guarantee the criminal won't have to use a PIN and his signature won't mean a thing.

Do what I do and use credit card for all your transactions and put the debit card away. Have your bank or credit union fix the card so it can only be used in an ATM (must use a PIN).

If your debit card is stolen, your money will disappear faster than you can take one to the hip and it may take several days or longer to get the bank to replace it. The criminal won't have to use a PIN and the signature won't matter = money gone.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Do what I do and use credit card for all your transactions and put the debit card away. Have your bank or credit union fix the card so it can only be used in an ATM (must use a PIN).

If your debit card is stolen, your money will disappear faster than you can take one to the hip and it may take several days or longer to get the bank to replace it. The criminal won't have to use a PIN and the signature won't matter = money gone.

Or don't have a debit card to begin with. CC's for me only, and sparingly.

Latest posts

Top Bottom