jerky recipe

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fishfurlife

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Its that time of year again. I have 3 gallons bags of deer jerky marinating. I stumbled across Head Country liquid marinade at the store tonight. That is good stuff.

x2

I used to swear by dry seasonings and cure and over the last few years I have shifted to liquid marinade and am pretty confident that the liquid will penetrate the meat so much more. I am now a liquid man.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
x2

I used to swear by dry seasonings and cure and over the last few years I have shifted to liquid marinade and am pretty confident that the liquid will penetrate the meat so much more. I am now a liquid man.

This is just my opinion, but when one cuts some jerky meat, it needs to stay in the fridge in a bag for a couple of days for the blood to leave the meat.
Then the liquid marinade will go into the meat, replacing the blood. Its just my theory, but I do know that there is less marinade left if I do this process than was put into the bag.

fishfurlife

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This is just my opinion, but when one cuts some jerky meat, it needs to stay in the fridge in a bag for a couple of days for the blood to leave the meat.
Then the liquid marinade will go into the meat, replacing the blood. Its just my theory, but I do know that there is less marinade left if I do this process than was put into the bag.

Great point dennis, I actually soak the meat in salt water for a day or two and cant off the water and replace with new a few different times. Then i will lay it all out flat and pat dry both sides before I put it into the marinade.

I do the exact same with goose meat and will soak it a bit longer and try to turn the meat nearly white in color to get as much blood out of it as I can.

Erick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The marinade I used last year was one pint bourbon (Evan Williams) and about one bottle of liquid smoke. The rub I use black pepper,and McCormick's grill mates Maple Smokehouse seasonings.

Hand sliced very thin, dehydrated until it just breaks after bending.

daugbl5

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There are so many good recipes out there.. If you ever get time and you want some very good deer sticks, Take your deer to Market 54 in
Weatherford,ok to be processed. Have them turn it into the summer sausage sticks. I don't think i have ever had any better. Not cheap
but I guarantee you that you wont waste a one. Just a fyi

cowzrul

Distinguished 1998
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I know this is a very old thread but I am looking at making our own deer jerky for the first time. Found this thread and wanted to ask...thin strips or jerky gun? Wouldn't the dehydrate grind fall apart?

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I know this is a very old thread but I am looking at making our own deer jerky for the first time. Found this thread and wanted to ask...thin strips or jerky gun? Wouldn't the dehydrate grind fall apart?

I haven't had any problems with ground. However, I use mostly dry mix ingredients for ground. I use liquid for sliced meat.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Claudes brisket marinade is great and much much less salty than Dales ..i do not like Dales at all.
Claudes with a big spoon of crushed red pepper flakes..like you put on your pizza.

Latest posts

Top Bottom